Ohio State at Northwestern
Date: May 6, 2022 | Time: 4:30 | BTN+ | Scoring/Listen |
Ohio State – Nate Haberthier (So. | RHP | 0-4 | 6.30 ERA | 50.0 IP | 38 K | 12 BB)
Northwestern – Sean Sullivan (First-year | LHP | 5-1 | 3.83 ERA | 56.1 IP | 68 K | 19 BB)
Date: May 7, 2022 | Time: 3:00 | BTN+ | Scoring/Listen |
Ohio State – Isaiah Coupet (So. | LHP | 2-5 | 6.14 ERA | 48.1 IP | 75 K | 32 BB)
Northwestern – Michael Farinelli (Grad. | RHP | 4-4 | 3.46 ERA | 67.2 IP | 47 K | 19 BB)
Date: May 8, 2022 | Time: 2:00 | BTN+ | Scoring/Listen |
Ohio State – TBD
Maryland – TBD
Rosters: Ohio State | Northwestern
Season Stats: Ohio State | Northwestern
Game Notes: Ohio State | Northwestern
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State heads out on the road for the final time this year as the Buckeyes travel to Evanston, Ill., for a weekend series vs. Northwestern. First pitch Friday is set for 4:30 p.m. All three games will be streamed on BTN+.
Over the last 10 years, the Buckeyes have a 13-8 edge in the series with the Wildcats. The teams met on the final weekend of the season last year and the Buckeyes took 2-of-3.
The last series in Evanston came back in 2015 and Ohio State won all three games. Tanner Tully got the win in the opener while Aaron Gretz had four hits. Trace Dempsey recorded a save in game two and came on again in relief in game three to secure the win in the 11th. Ryan Riga started game three and went 9.0 innings, allowing just two runs on four hits. Nick Sergakis had six hits in the three games, including four doubles.
- Northwestern is an even 20-20 on the year and is 7-8 in Big Ten play.
- The Wildcats lost 13-0 in their midweek game vs. UIC on Wednesday and dropped 2-of-3 at Maryland last weekend. In the Friday night game, Maryland starter Ryan Ramsey threw a perfect game.
- The Wildcats have a team batting average of .265 which is 11th-best in the league.
- Patrick Herrera leads the team in hitting at .343. Anthony Calarco has played in all 40 games and is hitting .315 with 15 doubles and eight home runs.
- Ethan O’Donnell leads the team with nine home runs and leads the conference with 19 doubles.
- On the mound, Michael Farinelli has spun a pair of complete games.
- Sean Sullivan is 5-1 on the year with a 3.83 ERA. He has thrown one complete-game shutout and is eighth in the Big Ten with 68 strikeouts.
Ohio State Quick Hitters
- Ohio State is coming off an 8-6 victory Wednesday at in-state foe Kent State.
- The Buckeyes are 14-26 overall and 3-13 in Big Ten play.
- The pitching staff remains third in the Big Ten in strikeouts per nine innings at 10.1.
- Marcus Ernst continues to lead the team in batting at .357. He was 3-for-4 with a double, two RBI and two runs scored in the 8-6 win at Kent State on Wednesday. He is second in the conference with 33 walks and is the seventh-toughest hitter in the conference to strikeout, going 8.6 at-bats between Ks.
- Kade Kern had his career-high streak of 22 consecutive games reaching base snapped vs. Kent State on Wednesday but he is still batting .279 with 10 doubles and six home runs. He has had a hit in 20 of his last 23 games.
- Zach Dezenzo has had a hit in each of the last eight games, including multiple hits in four of those games. He leads the team with 12 home runs and is slugging .611 which is ninth-best in the league. Dezenzo’s next home run will move him into the Top 10 in program history.
- Right fielder Mitchell Okuley also had his modest six-game hitting streak snapped at Kent State but he did have an RBI on a sac fly and scored a pair of runs. He homered twice and drove in four runs last weekend vs. Rutgers.
- Senior catcher Brent Todys was 5-for-9 with a home run and three runs scored in two games last weekend vs. the Scarlet Knights. He raised his batting average to .289 which is the highest it’s been since the first month of the season. He is riding a four-game hitting streak after having a hit and an RBI on Wednesday at Kent State.
- Freshman Trey Lipsey is second on the team in batting at .307 and is eight in the Big Ten in on-base percentage at .467.
- Hank Thomas had a pair of hits Wednesday at Kent State, marking his fourth multi-hit game as a Buckeye.
- On the mound, freshman Jake Johnson seems like he pitches every game. He has made a team-high 21 appearances which is tied for the third-most in the league. He has 29 strikeouts in 26.2 innings.
- Senior closer TJ Brock has not allowed a run over his last seven appearances, spanning 7.0 innings. He has a win and 10 strikeouts over that stretch
- Nate Karaffa threw a scoreless inning on Wednesday night at Kent State and picked up his second collegiate victory. The converted infielder has made 20 appearances and has 29 punchouts in 22.1 innings of work.
- Ethan Hammerberg picked up his fourth save of the season vs. Kent State on Wednesday. He is tied for Karaffa in appearances with 20 and he has walked just eight batters in 29.2 innings. He also has 40 strikeouts on the year.
- Isaiah Coupet continues to lead the Big Ten and is ninth in the country in strikeouts per nine innings at 13.97.
- Nate Haberthier is fourth in the Big Ten in walks per nine innings at 2.16.
- Wyatt Loncar has made eight starts this season. He has struck out 25 batters over his last four appearances and has walked just five over that span.