Final Stats: Ohio State 7, Iowa 3 // Season Stats // Schedule & Results // 2022 Roster
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State’s power hitting traveled to Iowa City on Friday evening, as the Buckeyes opened up their weekend series at Iowa by defeating the Hawkeyes 7-3 on the strength of home run by Kaitlyn Coffman and Niki Carver.
The Buckeyes, who have now won two straight, are 25-10 on the season and evened their Big Ten record at 5-5. Iowa is 18-21 overall and 1-11 in conference play.
The Short Story
Coffman and Carver’s homers came in the fourth and seventh innings, respectively. The former helped give Ohio State a 5-0 cushion and the latter staved off any hope Iowa had for a comeback after the Hawkeyes cut into the lead in the sixth inning.
As a team, Ohio State’s 12-hit attack saw nine different players record hits. Melina Wilison, Sam Hackenbracht and Meggie Otte each had multiple hits while Coffman, Hackenbracht and Carver combined to drive in all seven runs.
Lexie Handley improved to 14-6 on the season with her 14th complete game of the season. She struck out seven and got help from her defense as Iowa stranded the bases loaded three times in the game.
How The Runs Were Scored
- Ohio State put together a two-out rally in the top of the third inning after Kaitlyn Farley reached base on a single.
- Two batters after Farley’s single, and with two away, Jaycee Ruberti sliced one down the left field line and got a double out of it, moving Farley to third. Sam Hackenbracht followed with a single off the left field wall, scoring both Farley and Ruberti to give Ohio State a 2-0 lead.
- The hit was Hackenbracht’s 33rd and 34th RBI on the season.
- Ohio State’s lead grew to 5-0 in the top of the fourth inning when Kaitlyn Coffman hit a three-run home run – her first of the season – to right field, scoring Meggie Otte and pinch-runner Lindsey Potter.
- Kami Kortokrax and Otte hit back-to-back singles in the inning to set up Coffman’s pinch-hit at-bat. It was her 12th career home run.
- Iowa went back to back on solo home runs in the sixth inning, as Riley Sheehy and Brylee Klosterman went deep for the Hawkeyes to cut the Ohio State lead to 5-2.
- Any insurance that Ohio State would need was provided by Carver in the top of the seventh inning. She blasted a two-run home run to right field, her third homer in the last two games, to put the Buckeyes up 7-2.
- Iowa would get a run back on a Denali Loecker solo home run in the bottom of the seventh, but Handley quickly recovered to record the final two outs of the game.
- Carver’s two-run home run also drove in her 99th and 100th career RBI.
- Ohio State has hit 30 home runs over its last 21 games.
- Sam Hackenbracht: 2-2, 2 RBI
- Kaitlyn Coffman: 1-2, HR, 3 RBI
- Meggie Otte: 2-2, 1 run scored
- Niki Carver: 1-4, HR, 2 RBI
- Melina Wilkison: 2-4, 2 singles
Pending any weather-related schedule adjustments, Ohio State and Iowa will play the middle game of their three-game set tomorrow at 3 p.m. ET. The game will be streamed on B1G+ with live stats available on the schedule page of OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
For up-to-date information on schedule changes, follow Ohio State softball on Twitter at @OhioStateSB.