SPARKS, Md. – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team posted its eighth win of the season with an 11-5 victory over Oregon on Saturday afternoon at Tierney Field at the US Lacrosse Headquarters in Sparks, Md. Junior goalie Jill Rizzo registered the 500th save of her career during the game, holding the Ducks to just two goals in 55 minutes of play, a career low.
THE SHORT STORY
A slow offensive start sparked by strong defense from both teams, the Buckeyes began to pull away from the Ducks at 11:10 in the first half, taking a 3-1 lead into halftime. In the second, Ohio State went on a 10-goal run, commanding the first 20 minutes of the frame. During the scoring outpour, Rizzo also posted career save 500 at 22:38. Senior goalie Paige Postalwait saw action in the final five minutes of the game, and the Ducks saw a spike in offensive production, though Ohio State finished on top, 11-5.
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
• Sophomore Sophie Baez tallied the first goal of the game at 22:40 off a pass from senior Sara Dickinson. The Ducks responded with an equalizing goal just over a minute later.
• Senior Baley Parrott put the Buckeyes back in the lead at 11:10 in the first half, followed by junior Liza Hernandez with just under 10 to go. OSU held on to the two-goal lead to end the first frame.
• Sophomore Lindsay Epstein scored her fifth goal of the season to open the second, assisted by Parrott in the first 40 seconds. Freshman Chloe Johnson added her fifth goal as well, and Hernandez posted a hat trick with two consecutive goals. The Buckeyes continued to tack on the points, closing in on the 10-minute mark with a 10-goal run to lead the Ducks 11-1.
• Oregon ended the game on a four-goal run of their own, but couldn’t catch up to the Buckeyes.
THIS AND THAT
• Rizzo recorded career save 500, with 132 on the season so far. She also posted a new career-low goals allowed with two in 55 minutes.
• Hernandez led the Buckeyes in goals, notching her sixth hat trick of the season. Her four points added her season total to 50, already a career-high.
• Sophie Baez added two goals and two assists for her eighth multi-point game. Baez has scored in seven consecutive games.
• Sara Dickinson scored a goal and added a helper, and has scored a point in all but one game for the Buckeyes this season.
• Redshirt junior McKayla Conti assisted on her first two goals of the season and found the back of the net, ending the day with a season-high three points.
• Caroline Mackrides led the Buckeyes again with three caused turnovers, her sixth game doing so.
• Freshman Maura McGregor totaled a team-high four ground balls, helping the Buckeyes to win the battle for possession with 23 as a team.
• Sophomore Riley Ewing was credited with seven draw controls out of 12 for the team, also helping OSU dominate in possessions. Ewing leads the team with 47 for the season,
JUST THE STATS
Leading Scorers: Liza Hernandez (3G, 1A), Sophie Baez (2G, 2A), McKayla Conti (1G, 2A)
Shots: Ohio State 37, Oregon 13
Ground Balls: Ohio State 23, Oregon 12
Draw Controls: Ohio State 12, Oregon 6
Free Position Shots: Ohio State 1-of-9, Oregon 0-of-4
Saves: Ohio State (Rizzo, Postalwait) 6, Oregon (Hall) 20
Ohio State will be featured on the Big Ten Network on Thursday, April 4 at 7 p.m. for a match-up with Penn State in University Park, Pa.