2023 Roster // 2023 Schedule // Follow on Twitter // Season Stats // Follow on Facebook
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State’s winning streak reached double digits on Saturday, as the Buckeyes picked up two more wins and have now been victorious in 10 consecutive games. They used a 14-strikeout performance from Allison Smith in a 5-2 victory over Presbyterian in the opening game and then followed that up with a 9-2 triumph over host East Carolina later in the afternoon at the Jolly Roger Invite in Greenville, N.C.
The Buckeyes are now 16-7 on the season and finish a nine-day, 12-game spring break trip tomorrow with a 9:30 a.m. contest against Cleveland State.
Ohio State 5, Presbyterian 2 – Game Notes
- Smith set a new career high with 14 strikeouts and the Buckeyes’ offense was paced by two RBI each from Mariah Rodriguez and Kaitlyn Farley.
- After falling behind 1-0 after the first inning, the Buckeyes struck back with two in the top of the second and another in the third to grab a 3-1 lead.
- The Buckeyes’ offense gave Smith insurance runs in the sixth and seventh innings. She scattered six hits over seven innings to pick up her eighth win of the year.
- Rodriguez finished the game 3-for-4 with a double and two RBI. Over the seven games Ohio State has played this week, she’s batting .400 with two doubles, seven RBI and four runs scored.
- Smith’s win was her third this week. In those starts, she’s allowed just two earned runs and has 41 strikeouts.
Ohio State 9, East Carolina 2 – Game Notes
- Ohio State’s offense was paced by junior Destinee Noury, who drove in four runs. Her biggest hit of the night was a three-run double in the fourth inning that gave the Buckeyes a 6-1 advantage.
- Noury also added an RBI in the sixth inning.
- Emily Ruck made her third start of the week and second of the weekend. She went a full seven innings, allowing just five hits and two earned runs.
- This week, Ruck is 3-0 with a 1.87 ERA in 15.0 innings of action.
- Melina Wilkison continued to swing a hot bat, going 4-for-5 with three runs scored, an RBI and two stolen bases.
- Wilkison was one of five players who had multiple hits. Overall, the Buckeyes’ 14-hit attack was the second-highest output of the season.
- Kaitlyn Farley went 4-for-6 on the day with two doubles and two runs scored.
- Mariah Rodriguez also had four hits on the day while Wilkison had five.
The Buckeyes will look to make it 11 in a row tomorrow with a 9:30 a.m. first pitch scheduled against Cleveland State. A link to live stats will be available on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Following tomorrow’s game, the Buckeye fans will have their first opportunity to see the 2023 team in Columbus on Tuesday, March 21 when Ohio State plays its home opener against Kent State at 4 p.m. That game will air live on BTN+.