EAST LANSING, Mich. – The Ohio State softball team tied its season high with four home runs as it took down Michigan State, 11-1, in five innings on Sunday afternoon to sweep the series at Secchia Stadium. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 29-14 on the year and 12-5 in the Big Ten while the Spartans fall to 15-28 overall and 3-12 in conference contests.
Righty ace Morgan Ray won her fifth straight game and 14th of the season after four innings of work. She gave up one run on three hits and sat down seven batters. Rookie Jessica Ross made her second appearance of the year in one inning of relief with no hits or runs and two strikeouts.
- Bri Betschel got the Buckeyes going on a leadoff double and advanced to third base on the throw. Up next, Lilli Piper drove her in with a single up the middle. A walk and fielder’s choice put two on for a run to come across on a grounder, giving OSU a 2-0 edge.
- Michigan State got on the board in the second inning on a sacrifice fly.
- Ohio State’s offense erupted for five runs on seven hits in the third. Piper and Emily Clark connected on back-to-back solo home runs. Ashley Prange and Kallie Boren both had singles to get on base for Niki Carver, who demolished a three-run homer over center field, extending the lead to 7-1.
- The Buckeyes tacked on three more runs in the fourth behind Prange’s bunt RBI single and Carver’s two-run homer. It was the second home run in consecutive at-bats for Carver.
- In the fifth, Summer Constable entered the game as a pinch hitter and promptly drove a triple to left center, the first of her career. Spencer Sansom got her across home plate with a sacrifice fly.
- The Buckeyes have won seven straight over the Spartans and swept them the last two years.
- It was the second time this season Ohio State took all three games from a Big Ten opponent and had four home runs in a game.
- The Buckeyes are on a five-game win streak, which ties their longest streak of the season.
- Lilli Piper went 4-for-4, which tied her career high in hits, with two runs and two RBI.
- Niki Carver belted two home runs and drove in five RBI, both career marks.
- Ashley Prange tallied two hits, two runs and one RBI while Bri Betschel had two hits and scored a run.
- Emily Clark, Kallie Boren, Claire Nicholson, Kaitlyn Coffman and Summer Constable each had a hit.
- Ohio State out-hit Michigan State, 39-14, and outscored the home team by a 29-9 margin.
- As a team, the Buckeyes batted .448 and slugged .828 with a .537 on-base percentage.
- Five players slugged 1.250 or better through three games.
- Morgan Ray went 3-0 against the Spartans in 12.2 innings. She finished the weekend with a 1.66 ERA, 24 strikeouts and a .146 against average.
- Piper batted .778 with a 1.889 slugging percentage while accumulating eight runs, seven hits, five RBI and three home runs.
- Clark drove in eight runs, connected on seven hits, scored six runs, slugged 1.300 and batted .700 versus MSU.
- In her first series in East Lansing, Prange was 6-for-11 with three RBI and two runs.
Ohio State wraps up its home slate when it hosts Illinois in a three-game series at Buckeye Field.