Oct. 6, 2019
2019-20 Stats | 2019-20 Schedule | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s golf team comes back home to host the Jack Nicklaus Invitational at Muirfield Village Golf Club on Monday and Tuesday. The Buckeyes will play host to the second installment of the match play event, welcoming three ACC teams in Clemson, Duke and Florida State.
|Jack Nicklaus Invitational
|Dates:||Oct. 7-8, 2019
|Host:||The Ohio State University
|Course:||Muirfield Village Golf Club
|Format:||Matchplay: Round 1-Foursomes (Alternate shot), Round 2-Fourball (Best ball), Round 3-Individual matches
|Tee Times:||Monday – 8:30 a.m.-9:20 a.m. off hole one, second round begins immediately after
Tuesday – Championship match 8:30 a.m.-9:20 a.m., third-place match 9:30 a.m.-10:20 a.m.
|Weather:||Scattered Showers, 67°/ Sunny, 68°
|Teams:||Ohio State, Clemson, Duke, Florida State
OHIO STATE AT THE JACK NICKLAUS INVITATIONAL
- The Buckeyes are hosting the Jack Nicklaus Invitational for the second year in a row and the 12th time overall.
- Ohio State won the stroke play event in the 2014-15 season where it was played at the Ohio State University Scarlet Course.
- Last season the event was also hosted at Muirfield Village and was converted to a match play event involving eight teams.
- The team finished the tournament last season 0-1-1 with a loss to Clemson and narrow defeat to Florida State.
- Match play with six players per team and one point per match.
- The first round will be played in a foursome format, or alternate shot.
- Second round will be fourball, or best ball.
- Final round will be individual matches.
- The coaches will set their 1-6 order on Sunday evening and that order will be used throughout the day on Monday.
- There will be three tee times per match in both the first and second rounds on Monday.
- Coaches will then reset their order on Monday evening for Tuesday’s matches.
- Muirfield Village Golf Club was the dream and work of Jack Nicklaus. The land was acquired in 1966, but construction did not begin until July 28, 1972. The golf course is situated on 220 acres, which includes an 11-acre driving range. The course was officially dedicated on Memorial Day, May 27, 1974, with an exhibition match between Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf. Nicklaus scored a six-under par 66, which stood as the course record until 1979.
- Along with hosting the prestigious Memorial Tournament, the course has also hosted the 1986 U.S. Junior Amateur, the 1987 Ryder Cup Matches, the U.S.G.A’s 1992 United States Amateur Championship, the 1995 Wendy’s Three-Tour Challenge, and the 1998 Solheim Cup.
- Muirfield is set to undergo a large-scale renovation starting next fall, adjusting hole lengths and cooling systems built within the greens.
- The Buckeyes traveled to North Plains, Ore. to play the Witch Hollow course at Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club in the Nike Collegiate Invitational.
- The team finished 15th at 21-over par, led by Grant Engle’s stellar performance.
- Engle shot a 54-hole score of 213 (72-69-72) to finish even par and tied for 23rd place with a number of the best players in the nation.
- No spectator carts will be available.
- Spectators are asked to stay on the cart path as much as possible. No following players on the fairways, greens, etc.
- Dress code: Golf attire
- Cell phone: Texting only, verbal phone use is restricted to locker rooms only