2022 Season Stats // 2022 Schedule & Results // 2022 Roster // Tournament Bracket // Final Stats
EAST LANSING, Mich. – Sixth-seeded Ohio State extended its stay at the 2022 Big Ten softball tournament in East Lansing with a convincing 8-0 six-inning win over 11th-seeded Purdue in an opening round game. The victory sets up a quarterfinal contest tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. vs. third-seeded Illinois.
The Buckeyes improved to 34-14 overall and won for the fifth time in the last six games. Purdue finished its season with a 21-34 record.
The Short Story
Pitcher Lexie Handley allowed just two hits and struck out nine over six innings while the offense saw contributions from seven different players, most notable Jaycee Ruberti (3-3, double, three RBI) and Kaitlyn Farley (3-3, one run scored). Sam Hackenbracht also hit a three-run home run to put Ohio State up comfortably 6-0 in the second inning.
How The Runs Were Scored
- Ohio State’s first two batters in the top of the first reached safely, as Melina Wilkson led off the game with a double and Jaycee Ruberti brought her home with a single to right field.
- The game broke open for the scarlet and gray in the bottom of the second as Ruberti delivered a two-run double with the bases loaded and Sam Hackenbracht followed with a three-run home run to put Ohio State ahead 6-0.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Melina Wilkison drove Kaitlyn Farley home to increase Ohio State’s lead to 7-0 and McKenzie Bump ended the game a half inning early with a run-scoring double to center.
Buckeye This and That
- Ruberti’s three RBI are a season and career high. Her previous high was two vs. Stetson on Feb. 19.
- Farley and Ruberti both set career highs on Wednesday with three hits.
- The Buckeyes advance to the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals for the first time since 2017. That year, they won two games at the tournament and reached the finals.
- Ohio State and Illinois did not play during the regular season in 2022. Last season, Ohio State took three of four from the Illini in Champaign.
- Hackenbracht’s second-inning home run – her 15th of the season – was the first of the tournament at Secchia Stadium.
- It was the 29th of her career, which places her in the top 10 in school history. She’s currently tied with Stacy Roth (1999-02).
- Handley’s 21 wins are the most by an Ohio State pitcher in 12 years, since Melanie Nichols also had 21 as a freshman in 2010.
- Niki Carver, who earlier in the day earned first team All-Big Ten honors, has reached base in a season-high 19 consecutive games.
- Five of Ohio State’s 12 hits went for extra bases. Wilkson had two doubles to bring her season total to a team-high 10.
- The Buckeyes’ current .708 winning percentage is the best in head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly’s nine full seasons.
The Ohio State/Illinois quarterfinal contest tomorrow will be televised live on BTN. Penn State faces second-seeded Nebraska in the first game of the day at 11 a.m. The winners will play on Saturday in the first of two semifinal contests.
For complete schedule updates, visit the softball homepage at OhioStateBuckeyes.com and follow the Buckeyes on Twitter at @OhioStateSB.