Final Stats // Game Notes // Season Stats // 2022 Schedule and Results // 2022 Roster
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – A great heavyweight Big Ten softball battle went Michigan’s way on Saturday afternoon as the Wolverines secured a 4-3 walk-off win at the Wilpon Softball Complex in Ann Arbor. The Buckeyes are now 28-11 on the season and 8-6 in Big Ten. Michigan improves to 28-14 (8-7 Big Ten).
The Short Story
Ohio State led 1-0 for much of the game, fell behind 2-1 in the fifth inning and then came through with two runs in the top of the seventh to take a 3-2 lead. Michigan, however, got a lead-off single, sacrifice bunt, single and walk-off triple for the game’s winning runs.
The biggest hit in the Buckeye half of the seventh inning was a two-out double off the bat of Sam Hackenbracht, which scored two runs and put the Scarlet and Gray in the lead.
Lexie Handley pitched 6.1 innings and struck out five before giving away in the seventh inning to Allison Smith.
How The Runs Were Scored
- Ohio State played small ball in the top of the second inning to put the first run of the game on the board.
- It started out with a Niki Carver single, followed by a sac bunt and ground out that advanced Carver to third.
- That set the stage for Meggie Otte, who took the first pitch of her at-bat and singled up the middle to score Carver and give the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead.
- Michigan went ahead in the bottom of the fifth thanks to a bases loaded single and sacrifice fly, giving the Wolverines their left lead of the day at 2-1.
- Ohio State’s seventh inning started with a Taylor Pack single and continued after a sac bunt with Melina Wilkison’s single to left field, putting runners on first and third and setting the stage for Hackenbracht’s heroics.
Buckeye This and That
- For the second straight day, Ohio State outhit Michigan. Today, the Buckeyes had 10 hits, led by Wilkison, Pack and Niki Carver, who each had two.
- Carver had a double, scored a run and also had a walk to reach base in three of her four plate appearances.
- Wilkison is five-for-eight this weekend with a double, home run runs and four runs scored.
- Handley’s five strikeouts gives her 18 in 13.1 innings this weekend.
- Hackenbracht’s double was her 10th of the season. She has a team-high 39 RBI.
Ohio State and Michigan play the rubber game of their three-game series tomorrow at noon in Ann Arbor. The contest will be aired live on ESPN2.
Follow Ohio State softball on Twitter at @OhioStateSB for the latest news on the Buckeyes, including schedule adjustments.