COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 10 Ohio State women’s tennis team was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament with a 4-2 loss to Vanderbilt Sunday in the second round.
The Commodores won the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. Irina Cantos Siemers posted a straight-set win for the Buckeyes to tie the match before back-to-back Vanderbilt singles wins gave it a 3-1 advantage. Sydni Ratliff drew Ohio State within one (3-2), leaving the match to be decided on courts five and six, which both went to a third set. Vanderbilt (18-9) sealed the victory with a win on court six to advance to the NCAA Round of 16.
The Buckeyes, the Big Ten regular season champion, end the year 21-6. The loss was the first for Ohio State at home in NCAA play (7-1). The Buckeyes were was making their eighth straight NCAA appearance.
Quoting head coach Melissa Schaub
“It just wasn’t a good day today. We haven’t been playing our best down the stretch and that’s something we need to look at closely. It’s a long, tough season and we just weren’t where we needed to be. I’m obviously disappointed, but proud of our season up until this point. Looking ahead to next year, I feel we will have a good group in the locker room and a bright future.”
The Schedule Ahead
Vanderbilt vs Ohio State
May 08 at Columbus, Ohio
(Auer Tennis Complex)
#30 Vanderbilt 4, #10 Ohio State 2
1. #13 Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) def. #46 Anna Ross (VANDY) 6-1, 6-2
2. #88 Holly Staff (VANDY) def. #41 Isabelle Boulais (OSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
3. #67 Sydni Ratliff (OSU) def. #87 Anessa Lee (VANDY) 6-4, 6-2
4. Marcella Cruz (VANDY) def. Kolie Allen (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Lucia Marzal (OSU) vs. Dasha Kourkina (VANDY) 2-6, 6-4, 0-4, unfinished
6. Amy Stevens (VANDY) def. Luna Dormet (OSU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
1. #37 Anna Ross/Holly Staff (VANDY) def. Kolie Allen/Isabelle Boulais (OSU) 7-5
2. Irina Cantos Siemers/Lucia Marzal (OSU) vs. Anessa Lee/Marcella Cruz (VANDY) 5-4, unfinished
3. MaryAnn Rompf/Dasha Kourkina (VANDY) def. Luna Dormet/Sydni Ratliff (OSU) 6-2
Vanderbilt 18-9; National ranking #30
Ohio State 21-6; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,4,2,3,6)
NCAA Tournament Second Round
Official: Julio Colon T-3:22 A-123