No. 12 Ohio State at McKendree, No. 6 Lewis
Dates: Feb. 10, 12
Time: 8 p.m. (ET)/6 p.m. (ET)
Venues: Lebanon, Ill., Melvin Price Convocation Center/Romeoville, Ill., Neil Carey Arena
Covid Policies: at McKendree/at Lewis
Live Streams: at McKendree/at Lewis
Live Stats: at McKendree/at Lewis
Game Notes: Ohio State | McKendree | Lewis | MIVA
Rosters: Ohio State | McKendree | Lewis
Season Stats: Ohio State | McKendree | Lewis | MIVA | NCAA
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 12 Ohio State Men’s Volleyball team (4-3) gets back on the court after nearly a two-week span between games when the Buckeyes open Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association play at McKendree Thursday (8 p.m.).
Ohio State last played Jan. 29 at UC Santa Barbara. A two-game series scheduled between the Buckeyes and Mount Olive was canceled (Feb. 4-5) because of winter travel concerns.
Ohio State will remain in Illinois to face No. 6 Lewis Saturday (6 p.m.) in another MIVA contest.
- The Buckeyes are 11-3 all-time vs. McKendree, including a 4-2 record on the road. The teams played twice in 2021, both on the road. The Bearcats were victorious in both matches (3-1). Ohio State split with Lewis a year ago in Columbus (W, 3-1/L 0-3). The Buckeyes own the series lead vs. the Flyers 36-25 with a 13-12 edge on the road.
- Ohio State is 466-136 all-time in Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association regular-season competition. The Buckeyes own 27 MIVA championships and 17 MIVA Tournament titles.
- Ohio State last played Jan. 29 at UC Santa Barbara (L, 1-3) two days following a loss (1-3) to now No. 1 Long Beach State, also on the road. Two home games scheduled Feb. 4-5 vs. Mount Olive were canceled because of winter travel concerns.
- Ohio State’s three losses this year have come on the road in California to current Top 10 teams: No. 1 LBS, No. 2 UCLA and No. 8 UCSB. The Buckeyes on a win (3-1) over current No. 7 Southern California at the B1G/Pac-12 Challenge.
- Ohio State split vs. No. 2 UCLA (L, 3-2) and No. 12 Southern California (W, 3-1) at the B1G/Pac-12 Challenge at Pauley Pavilion on the UCLA campus.
- Ohio State opened the season with a pair of 3-0 wins over Central State Jan. 7-8. Jacob Pasteur led with 18 kills in the wins. He also recorded team highs in aces (6) and blocks (7).
- Martin Lallemand was named the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Offensive Player of the Week Jan. 9. He had 15 kills, three aces, five digs and hit .357 in the wins over the Marauders.
- Lallemand has 661 career kills as a Buckeye. He will need 144 more to crack the Top 20 in Ohio State history. David Frette holds the No. 20 position all-time with 805 from 1989-91.
- The MIVA coaches picked the Buckeyes at No. 3 in the annual preseaon poll.
- A pair of Buckeyes made the preseason All-MIVA squad. Senior Martin Lallemand and sophomore Sotiris Siapanis, both outside hitters, represent the Buckeyes.
- Siapanis also was recognized as a preseason second team All-American by Off the Block. Siapanis, a 2021 Honorable Mention All-American (NVA/AVCA), was the 2021 MIVA Newcomer of the Year and a First Team All-MIVA selection.
- Kevin Burch, now in his third year as Ohio State head coach, added four student-athletes to the roster for the 2023 season on National Signing Day in November. Dan Hurley (6-8/OH), Jack O’Riodan (6-8/OH), Shane Wetzel (6-7/OPP) and Niko Williams (6-6/S) all signed their National Letters of Intent.
- Steven Kehoe (2008-11) was inducted into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame during ceremonies last fall. The former setter also earned Ohio State’s Male Athlete of the Year Award in 2011. Kehoe remains ranked among the Top 10 in school history for career assists (4,012), digs (595) and aces (97).
- Burch has a record of 24-21 over three seasons as head coach in Columbus.