COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State softball team wraps up its fall ball schedule this weekend when it hosts the 21st Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic. The event, one of the largest cancer fundraisers in central Ohio, will take place exclusively at Buckeye Field this year.
- A total of nine games will be played Saturday through Sunday this weekend.
- Action gets underway on Saturday at 9 a.m. when Dayton takes on Mt. Vernon Nazerene. It continues with five more games – 11:15 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:45 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. – on Saturday before a tripleheader on Sunday.
- Ohio State is in action on Sunday beginning at 11 a.m. vs. Tiffin and continuing at 3:30 p.m. vs. Toledo.
The Full Schedule
Saturday, Oct. 8 – Buckeye Field
- Dayton vs. Mt. Vernon Nazarene // 9 a.m.
- Vernon Nazarene vs. Tiffin // 11:15 a.m.
- Dayton vs. Otterbein // 1:30 p.m.
- Ohio Dominican vs. Ohio // 3:45 p.m.
- Otterbein vs. Ohio // 6 p.m.
- Otterbein vs. Ohio Dominican // 8:15 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 9 – Buckeye Field
- Ohio State vs. Tiffin // 11 a.m.
- Toledo vs. Tiffin // 1:15 p.m.
- Toledo vs. Ohio State // 3:30 p.m.
About the Charity Classic
- This year marks the 21st Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic. It started in 2001 and ran for 19 consecutive years before the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
- The event returned last year and is the annual highlight of Ohio State’s fall schedule.
- Division I, II and III teams from Ohio will be making the trip to Columbus, making it one of the largest showcases of softball at levels in the state.
- Admission is a $5 donation that will be collected upon entry at Buckeye Field.
- The Ohio Collegiate Charity Classic has raised over $250,000, making it one of the largest fundraisers for Breast Cancer Awareness month in central Ohio.
- Proceeds benefit The Stefanie Spielman Fund for Breast Cancer Research at the OSUCCC-James.
More About the Buckeyes
- This will be Ohio State’s third and final weekend of fall competition.
- Last Friday, the Buckeyes played Ohio Dominican in a nine-inning contest on Friday and then a doubleheader versus Akron on Sunday.
- The weekend prior, the annual Scarlet vs. Gray intrasquad game occurred on Friday, Sept. 23 before a scheduled doubleheader at Bowling Green on Sept. 25. Only 3.5 innings of the Bowling Green doubleheader was played due to rain.
- The Buckeyes return eight starters and two pitchers from last year’s team that finished 36-17 overall and made the NCAA Tournament for the fifth time in six seasons.
- Five newcomers have joined the squad for 2022-23: catcher/1B Hannah Church (Land O’ Lakes, Fla.), pitcher Julia Miller (New Philadelphia, Ohio), utility Skylar Limon (La Habra, Calif.), infielder Hailey Massaro (Wooster, Ohio) and pitcher Lexi Paulsen (Carroll, Ohio).