No. 11 Ohio State at No. 2 UCLA, vs. No. 12 USC
Dates: Jan. 21. 22
Time: 8 p.m. (ET) – Both Days
Venue: Los Angeles | Pauley Pavilion | COVID Policies at UCLA
Watch: Pac-12 Net Los Angeles
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | UCL A | USC | MIVA
Rosters: Ohio State | UCLA | USC
Season Stats: Ohio State | UCLA | USC | MIVA | NCAA
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 11 Ohio State (3-0) travels for its first road contest of the season when the Buckeyes take on No. 2 UCLA (1-0) and No. 12 USC (4-0) this weekend in Pauley Pavilion on the UCLA campus. Along the with No. 3 Penn State, the teams will be competing in the 2022 B1G/Pac-12 Challenge. The Buckeyes and Bruins open with an 8 p.m. (ET) game Friday. Ohio State and USC meet at 8 p.m. Saturday.
- The No. 11 Buckeyes are 3-21 all-time vs. No. 2 UCLA and 5-19 vs. No. 12 USC. The Buckeyes are 2-2 vs. the Bruins in the last four meetings. The last win was a 3-1 victory Jan. 17, 2017 in Columbus in the Big Ten/Pac-12 Challenge. The last win vs. USC was in the same event Jan. 18, 2018 in Columbus, 3-1. The Buckeyes have won four of the last five in the series.
- The matches in California will be a homecoming for five current Buckeyes. Freshmen Jason Kozak (Fremont) and Ben Braun (Camino Real) and seniors Luke Lentin (La Jolla), Justin Howard (Pacific Palisades) and Ethan Talley (Newport Beach) all will be back in their home state this weekend.
- Ohio State opened the season with a pair of 3-0 wins over Central State Jan. 7-8. Jacob Pasteur lead with 18 kills in the wins. He also recorded team highs in aces (6) and blocks (7).
- The Buckeyes lead the nation in opponent hitting percentage (.040)
- Martin Lallemand was named the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association Offensive Player of the Week Jan. 9. He had 15 kills, three aces, five digs and hit .357 in the wins over the Marauders.
- Lallemand has 610 career kills as a Buckeye. He will need 195 more to crack the Top 20 in Ohio State history. David Frette holds the No. 20 position all-time with 805 from 1989-91.
- The MIVA coaches picked the Buckeyes at No. 3 in the annual preseaon poll.
- A pair of Buckeyes made the preseason All-MIVA squad. Senior Martin Lallemand and sophomore Sotiris Siapanis, both outside hitters, are representing the Buckeyes on the squad.
- Siapanis also was recognized as a preseason second team All-American by Off the Block. Siapanis, a 2021 Honorable Mention All-American (NVA/AVCA), was the 2021 MIVA Newcomer of the Year and a First Team All-MIVA selection.
- Kevin Burch, now in his third year as Ohio State head coach, added four student-athletes to the roster for the 2023 season on National Signing Day in November. Dan Hurley (6-8/OH), Jack O’Riodan (6-8/OH), Shane Wetzel (6-7/OPP) and Niko Williams (6-6/S) all signed their National Letters of Intent.
- Steven Kehoe (2008-11) was inducted into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame during ceremonies last fall. The former setter also earned Ohio State’s Male Athlete of the Year Award in 2011. Kehoe remains ranked among the Top 10 in school history for career assists (4,012), digs (595) and aces (97).
- Burch has a record of 23-18 over three seasons as head coach in Columbus.