Box Score | Photo Gallery
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Nicole Ferrara’s goal in overtime lifted the Ohio State women’s lacrosse team to a 13-12 victory over instate foe Cincinnati Tuesday in Ohio State Lacrosse Stadium. Both teams are now 4-2 on the year.
The Buckeyes led 8-6 at halftime and 10-8 after three quarters, but were outscored by the Bearcats 4-2 in the fourth, with UC tallying the last two, to send the game to OT. Ferrara had a team-best four goals and five points, while freshman Casey Roberts had her first collegiate hat trick. Jamie Lasda had a four-point outing with two goals and two assists. Regan Alexander made a career-best 14 saves in the cage for Ohio State. Seven of the Buckeyes’ goals came on free position shots.
The Buckeyes will travel to Harrisonburg, Va., for a game against No. 13 James Madison at noon Saturday, with the game streamed through ESPN Plus.
How it Happened
- Cincinnati scored the game’s first two goals, at 13:34 and 11:52, before back-to-back Ohio State scores from Casey Roberts (a player-up tally from right in front assisted by Jamie Level) and Nicole Ferrara (on a free position chance) tied the game with 5:43 left in the first.
- After a Bearcat goal at 5:07 for a 3-2 lead, Ohio State went on a four-goal run. The first three were in the final 4:39 of the first quarter, putting the Buckeyes up 5-3 at the break. Zoe Coleman and Annie Hargraves notched back-to-back free position goals at 4:39 and 2:28 and Jamie Lasda tallied unassisted at 1:16.
- After a Ferrara player-up free position goal at 10:04 of the second, Cincinnati scored twice to draw within one (6-5) at 3:51. Roberts, on a free position shot, and Ferrara, off an assist from Lasda, answered for an 8-5 Ohio State advantage at 1:37. The Bearcats notched the final goal before halftime for an 8-6 game.
- A free position goal from Cincinnati opened the scoring early in the third quarter. Lasda found Roberts in the middle for a tally at 12:51 and Bryce Pfundstein converted a free position chance at 7:58 to push the lead back to three (10-7). The Bearcats again closed the scoring in the quarter, for a 10-8 game through 45 minutes.
- With two goals in the first 1:50 of the fourth quarter, the Bearcats tied the game at 10.
- Ferrara set up Caly O’Brien at 12:21 to break the deadlock and Lasda scored on a free position chance at 8:48 for a two-goal Ohio State cushion. The Bearcats’ Camryn Callaghan tallied the last two goals of regulation, at 7:46 and 4:32, sending the game to overtime.
- In the extra period, an early yellow card on Cincinnati – their ninth of the game – put Ohio State player up. Ferrara drove the cage from the left hash and her shot went off the post and in to lift the Buckeyes to the win.
- Cincinnati had the slight edge in shots, 33-31, with Regan Alexander stopping a career-best 14 for the Buckeyes, including five in the third quarter. The Bearcat goalie made nine saves.
- The Bearcats finished the game ahead in ground balls, 17-15, and draw controls, 18-11. Each team had 15 turnovers.
- Ohio State converted seven of its 11 free position shots, with UC 2-for-5.
- Sarah Johnson led the Buckeyes with three ground balls, while Emily Magalotti, Level and Lasda each had two.
- Roberts caused two turnovers in the win.
Buckeye This and That
- Roberts had her first collegiate hat trick and now has seven goals this season, with five in the last two games.
- Ferrara leads Ohio State with 17 goals and 19 points. It was her sixth game with four or more goals and her ninth outing with five or more points. She has 86 goals, 37 assists and 123 points in 43 games in the Scarlet and Gray.
- Lasda is second on the squad with 16 points and first with eight assists. Level and Lasda are tied for second with eight goals each.
- Alexander’s 14 saves passed her previous best of 13 set vs. Cincinnati last season.
- Lasda had her seventh game with four or more points and her seventh game with three or more assists.