Related Links: Day 1 Results | Men’s Roster | Women’s Roster
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State swimming and diving team won six events on day one of the first meet of the season against Penn State, Indiana and Virginia Tech Friday evening at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion. The No. 10 women won four races and the No. 11 men won two.
At the end of day one, the Buckeye women lead Virginia Tech, 105.00-62.00, and Indiana, 101.00-66.00. The men’s squad leads the Hokies, 95.00-72.00, and Nittany Lions, 116.50-49.50, but trails the Hoosiers, 66.00-101.00.
Women’s 200 Free Relay – Zenick, Fulmer, Ivan, Crane (1:30.33)
Men’s 200 Free Relay – Armstrong, Andreis, Gaziev, Quach (1:17.89)
Women’s 100 Breast – Josie Panitz (100:24)
Women’s 100 Free – Amy Fulmer (49.19)
Men’s 100 Free – Hunter Armstrong (43.28)
Women’s 400 Medley Relay – Crane, Panitz, Zenick, Fulmer (3:37.29)
- Both the men and women kicked off their season with a win, as both squads won the 200 Free Relay. In the women’s race, the Buckeye relay of Katherine Russo, Amanda Palutsis, Nyah Funderburke and Mairin O’Brien took fourth, while Ohio State also finished seventh and eighth. The men’s relay team of Jack Burroughs, James Ward, Collin McDermott and RJ Kondalski earned fifth place. The Buckeyes also raced an eighth-place finish.
- In the 200 IM, Josie Panitz led the Buckeye women with a second-place finish (2:01.05). For the men, Thomas Watkins led the way with a sixth-place finish (1:48.65).
- Charlie Clark and Sally Tafuto both finished second in the 500 Free for Ohio State. Clark touched the wall in a time of 4:21.06 while Tafuto finished in 4:51.84.
- Panitz picked up the Buckeyes’ first individual event win of the evening, racing a time of 1:00.24 in the 100 Back. Hudson McDaniel tied for second in the men’s event with Indiana’s Daniel Raisanen with a time of 54.47.
- Leading Ohio State in the 200 Breast were Paige Hall and Kristen Romano, who finished second and third, respectively. Hall recorded a time of 1:59.60 while Romano raced a 1:59.87. For the men, Thomas Watkins finished in 1:45.47 for fifth place.
- The Buckeyes swept the 100 Free as Amy Fulmer and Hunter Armstrong won their respective races and Katherine Zenick and Ruslan Gaziev finished second. Fulmer touched the wall in a time of 49.19 and Armstrong swam a 43.28. Zenick raced a 50.11 while Gaziev finished in 43.52.
- Ohio State took second in both the men’s and women’s 200 Fly. On the women’s side, Katie Trace led the Buckeyes, finishing in a time of 2:02.02. Alex Quach raced a time of 1:45.25 to finish runner up in the men’s event.
- Jacob Fielding led the Buckeye diving team with a third-place finish in the 3-meter dive with a score of 376.85. Joey Canova, Clay Chaplin, Lyle Yost and Jacob Siler followed in fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh place. Mackenzie Crawford led the women’s squad, finishing 10th in the 3-meter dive with a final score of 262.15.
- The Buckeye women picked up their final win of the day in the 400 Medley Relay. The relay team of Emily Crane, Panitz, Zenick and Fulmer finished in a time of 3:37.29, five seconds ahead of the second-place Virginia Tech relay. The men’s medley relay of Armstrong, McDaniel, Quach and Gaziev took second in a time of 3:09.38.
The Buckeyes wrap up the two-day meet tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 30 from the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion. Races start at 10 a.m. and admission to home swim and dive meets is free.