COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated the Kentucky Wildcats on Wednesday afternoon, 4-0.
The No. 1 ranked Buckeyes took on the No. 49 Wildcats in a midweek matchup that had its ups and downs. The Buckeyes took the lead 1-0 through doubles play fairly easily with JJ Wolf, Martin Joyce, Kyle Seelig and Alex Kobelt claiming the victories.
Singles play started off rough for the Buckeyes, with each court trailing or tied through the first few games. JJ Wolf and John McNally struggled early on but would both rally. Alex Kobelt continued to be on form, serving ace after ace. In addition, Kyle Seelig was in total control of his match with Cesar Bourgois and was the first Buckeye to finish, winning 6-3, 6-2.
The Buckeyes are now a combined 48-5 in singles matches this season with No. 1 JJ Wolf “leading the pack” at 11-0. Just behind Wolf for the Buckeyes is Alex Kobelt at 10-0. Kobelt has been on fire this season with three ranked wins and a current national ranking at No. 91. Holding it down for Ohio State so far has been senior Hunter Tubert at 10-1, who has been nothing short of stellar in the No. 6 spot, putting in performance after performance and bringing consistency to the team.
In doubles, Ohio State is a combined 29-3 so far this season with JJ Wolf and Martin Joyce leading the way at 9-2 while Alex Kobelt and Kyle Seelig are the No. 3 ranked doubles pair in the nation.
Ohio State’s win puts them at 14-0 on the season and at No. 1 in the nation in both ITA and USTA polls. Up next the Buckeyes will take on No. 12 Notre Dame On Sunday at Noon inside the Varsity Tennis Center.
1. #1 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #29 Ryo Matsumura (UK) 6-3, 6-0
2. #30 John McNally (OSU) vs. Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
3. #26 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Cesar Bourgois (UK) 6-3, 6-2
4. #69 Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Kento Yamada (UK) 6-4, 5-4, unfinished
5. #91 Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Theo McDonald (UK) 7-5, 6-2
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) vs. Parth Aggarwal (UK) 6-1, 4-4, unfinished
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-1
2. #3 Alex Kobelt/Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Ryo Matsumura/Kento Yamada (UK) 6-1
3. #32 John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OSU) vs. Theo McDonald/Fabian Penzkofer (UK) 3-3, unfinished
Kentucky 6-5; National ranking #49
Ohio State 14-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,1,5)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:45 A-105