Box Score | Schedule | Season Stats
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State (1-2-0) dropped a 2-1 decision to Xavier (3-0-0) Friday in the first game of the IU Classic at Yeagley Field at Armstrong Stadium on the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana.
How it Happened
Senior Xavier Green put the Buckeyes up 1-0 on a goal in the 69’ but the Musketeers tallied the equalizer in the 74’ and then took the lead in the 77’.
The Buckeyes were the aggressors for the majority of the second half until Xavier rallied to score a pair of goals over a four-minute span to overcome a 1-0 Ohio State lead.
- Xavier Green put Ohio State in the lead in the 69’, scoring after a long rebound. It was his second goal of the season and fourth of his career.
- Neither team was able to score in the opening 45 with each team recording two shots and two corners at the break.
- Ohio State had an 8-7 lead in shots for the game and 6-2 in corners.
- Keagan McLaughlin was given the nod in goal for the Buckeyes, his first start at Ohio State following his transfer from Notre Dame last summer. The Zanesville, Ohio, native played in 18 games with the Irish.
- Redshirt senior captain Samuel Buzzas made his first appearance of the season in the second half.
- The Buckeyes were without sophomore captain Laurence Wootton, who was awarded a red card in the last outing vs. UAB.
- Brian Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
- The Buckeyes are 8-8-4 all-time vs. Xavier (Big East) and 1-2-0 vs. Creighton (Big East). The Buckeyes had not previously faced either team on a neutral field.
Ohio State takes on Creighton at the IU Classic at 5 p.m. Monday, Sept. 6, in Bloomington.