Related Links: Day 1 Results | Women’s Roster | Men’s Roster
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Thirteen Buckeye swimmers helped Ohio State to seven event wins during the first day of the Ohio State Winter Invitational on Friday evening at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion.
200 Free Relay – Luke Paxton, Daniel Baltes, Josh Bogniard, Tim Kalin (1:19.78)
500 Free – Meredith Moellering (4:48.19)
500 Free – Matthew Magness (4:22.19)
200 IM – Nathan Holty (1:46.32)
50 Free – Mairin O’Brien (22.97)
50 Free – Daniel Baltes (20.16)
400 Medley Relay – Brandon Day, Ian Mikesell, Luke Paxson, Jay Johnson (3:12.50)
NCAA B Standards
Matthew Magness – 500 freestyle (4:22.19); Nathan Holty – 200 IM (1:46.32)
- All three Buckeye women racing the 500 freestyle recorded season-best times in the prelims on Friday. Meredith Moellering finished first in the morning session in 4:50.12. Claire Pophal followed in 4:55.36. Mia Lachey took fourth in the prelims in 4:57.87. Moellering (4:48.19) and Pophal (4:53.00) finished first and second in the finals while also swimming career-bests,
- Matthew Magness led the way for the men’s team in the 500 freestyle finals, racing an NCAA B cut and personal-best time of 4:22.19. Jay Johnson, who raced a personal record during the prelims, touched in a time of 4:23.57 for second for his second career-best time of the day. Brandon Day finished third in the finals in 4:28.97, but recorded a personal-best finish during the prelims (4:27.34).
- In the 200 IM, Sarah Turchanik took second for the women in a season-best time of 2:01.75. Leah Baker also recorded a season-best time of 2:06.29 in the finals for sixth overall.
- Sophomore Nathan Holty recorded an NCAA B cut and personal-best time (1:46.32) in the 200 IM to win the event final. The Buckeyes took the next five-best times of the finals. Owen Conley finished second in the finals (1:47.57) after racing a career-best 1:46.84 in the prelims. Michael Cooper (1:47.57) and Luke Paxton (1:48.00) earned personal-best times in the finals while Ryan Trichler (1:48.28) raced a season-best in the finals. Ian Mikesell finished in a time of 1:50.53 in the finals after racing a career-best 1:49.18 in the prelims.
- Mairin O’Brien won the 50 free finals for the women in a time of 22.97. Mackenzie Dewitt took third in a career-best 23.00. Finishing fourth for the Buckeyes was Amanda Palutsis in 23.02. She raced a season-best 23.00 in the morning prelim session. Brynna Wolfe ended the day with a season-best time of 24.53.
- Daniel Baltes paced the Buckeyes in the 50 free finals with an event-winning time of 20.16, also a career best for the freshman. RJ Kondalski took second in a season-best 20.28. In third for Ohio State, with a career-high finish, was Tim Kalin (20.28). Josh Bogniard took fourth overall in a time of 20.66 after earning a career-high finish in prelims (20.61).
- The Ohio State A relay of Brynna Wolfe, Leah Baker, Sarah Turchanik and Mia Lachey raced a time of 3:41.81 to take second in the 400 medley relay.
- Ohio State’s men’s A relay of Day, Mikesell, Paxton and Johnson earned the win in 3:12.50 to close out the first day of the invitational.
The Ohio State Winter Invitational continues tomorrow with prelims starting at 11 a.m. and finals at 5 p.m. from the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion. Events to be raced include the 200 medley relay, 100 butterfly, 400 IM, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and the 800 freestyle relay.