COLUMBUS, Ohio- The No. 2 ranked Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated the No. 5 ranked USC 5-0 Tuesday evening in front of an electric crowd at the OSU Varsity Tennis Center.
Ohio State won the doubles point for the ninth consecutive match to start the season behind big performances from John McNally, Hunter Tubert, Alex Kobelt and James Trotter.
Doubles play started off with a scare as Kobelt/Trotter and the tandem of JJ Wolf and Martin Joyce slipped behind a break early. McNally and Tubert were in control the whole way on court 3 against the No. 21 ranked doubles pair of Cukierman/Smith, while Wolf/Joyce and Kobelt/Trotter were battling. Trotter and Kobelt fell behind 3-5 and were in danger of losing for the first time this season. Fortunately, with the support of his teammates from left and right, Kobelt and Trotter fought back and would eventually complete the comeback to win in a tiebreaker 7-6(4).
After a nerve-wracking but successful slate of doubles matches, the Buckeyes started singles play quick and with conviction as five of six courts were ahead after one set. Tubert and Kobelt on courts 5 and 6 were the first to finish and put the Buckeyes up 3-0. It is becoming a common theme for these two as they’ve been in command all season long.
John McNally and JJ Wolf captured points four and five to secure the win for Ohio State. McNally captured the victory with a dominant performance over Jack Jaede 6-1, 6-3. Less than 10 seconds following the conclusion of McNally’s match, Wolf secured another ranked win over No. 56 Brandon Holt 6-4, 6-1.
With the win over the Trojans, Ohio State improves to 9-0 on the season and claims their third ranked victory in their last four matches. Up next for the Buckeyes is Tulane at the ITA National Indoors in Chicago. The Buckeyes enter the tournament as the No. 1 seed.
#2 Ohio State 5, #5 USC 0
1. #2 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #56 Brandon Holt (USC) 6-4, 6-1
2. #12 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. #4 Daniel Cukierman (USC) 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
3. #62 John McNally (OSU) def. Jack Jaede (USC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. #31 Laurens Verboven (USC) 4-6, 1-2, unfinished
5. #86 Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Riley Smith (USC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Mor Bulis (USC) 6-1, 6-4
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Brandon Holt/Riley Smith (USC) 6-6, unfinished
2. Alex Kobelt/James Trotter (OSU) def. Jack Jaede/Laurens Verboven (USC) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Hunter Tubert/John McNally (OSU) def. #21 Daniel Cukierman/Tanner Smith (USC) 7-5
USC 5-3; National ranking #5
Ohio State 9-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,5,3,1)
Official: Marcus Lee T-1:52 A-361