2022 Schedule & Results // 2022 Roster // Box Score
COLUMBUS, Ohio – After picking up two victories to start the season on the road last weekend, the Ohio State field hockey team used the same winning recipe at home on Sunday to earn a 4-0 triumph over Lehigh. The 3-0 Buckeyes are now off to their best start since 2019.
The Short Story
Ohio State’s four goals on Sunday came from four different players. Leanne Bough, Cameryn Forgash, Zella Bailey and Claudia Thomas all found the back of the cage, while Emma Goldean and Makenna Webster each had two assists.
The Buckeyes scored a goal in every quarter, outshot Lehigh 21-6 and had a 6-5 edge in penalty corners. A total of 23 different players saw action in the game and 10 registered at least one shot.
How the Goals Were Scored
- Late in the first quarter, the Buckeyes broke a scoreless tie when Delaney Lawler, Emma Goldean and Leanne Bough teamed up for a perfectly executed penalty corner. Goldean inserted with a stop from Lawler and a well-place shot for Bough, who scored her first goal of the season.
- In the second quarter, Forgash got in the scoring column when she was in the right place at the right time to finish off an entry pass from Goldean. The shot from in close gave the Buckeyes a 2-0 lead with 3:20 remaining before halftime.
- Freshman Zella Bailey had a game to remember in her home debut. With 10 minutes remaining in the third quarter, she tapped in a ball that was sent towards the goal in transition by Webster, giving the scarlet and gray a 3-0 advantage.
- Thomas closed out the scoring in the fourth quarter when she cleaned up a deflection that was battled for near the left post. It was her second goal of the season and Webster was credited with an assist on the play, her second of the day.
Shots: Ohio State 21, Lehigh 6
Shots on Goal: Ohio State 14, Lehigh 1
Penalty Corners: Ohio State 6, Lehigh 5
Scoring Summary: 12:51 1st Qtr. – OSU: Bough (Lawler, Goldean); 26:40 2nd Qtr. – OSU: Forgash (Goldean); 40:36 3rd Qtr. – OSU: Bailey (Webster); 51:25 4th Qtr. – OSU: Thomas (Webster)
This and That
- Ohio State remains unscored upon this season and goalkeeper Abby Danson needed to make just one save to pick up her third win of the season.
- It’s the first time in program history that the Buckeyes have opened the season with three consecutive shutouts.
- Webster and Sarah Charley each had a team-high four shots.
- Ohio State has outshot its opponents 59-23 over the first three games.
- The Buckeyes’ 11 goals this season have been scored by seven different players.
Ohio State will look to start 4-0 for the first time since 2008 when it travels to Oxford, Ohio next Sunday to face in-state foe Miami at 1 p.m.