COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s and women’s cross country teams are heading to Minneapolis, Minn., for the Roy Griak Invitational hosted by Minnesota Friday. The men will race an 8K at 11:30 a.m. ET, with the women to follow at 12:15 p.m. ET in a 6K, with both on the Les Bolstad Golf Course.
Live results for the race will be available HERE.
Other teams expected to compete are Cal Baptist, Colorado State, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa State, Manitoba, Miami (Fla.), Michigan State, Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, North Dakota State, Santa Clara, St. Thomas, South Dakota State, Temple, Utah, UNLV, Wisconsin, Wichita State and Wyoming.
In the USTFCCCA national rankings on the women’s side, Wisconsin is ranked 13th, Colorado State is No. 14, Utah is No. 20, Michigan State is No. 23, Ohio State is No. 25 and Cal Baptist is No. 29 (tied), with Minnesota receiving votes. For the men, Wisconsin is No. 7, Iowa State is No. 9 and Michigan State is No. 28.
This and That
- This week, the women’s team moved into the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) poll after receiving votes in the preseason and week one polls. In the Great Lakes Region, the women moved up a spot to No. 4, behind Notre Dame, Michigan and Wisconsin. The men are 12th in the region.
- The Buckeyes had last week off after racing at the Big Ten Preview in Ann Arbor Sept. 9. The women finished second at the meet, with the men fifth.
- Addie Engel was first overall in Ann Arbor, one of three Buckeyes in the Top 10, along with Daniella Santos (No. 5) and Andrea Kuhn (No. 9). Zubin Jha crossed the line first for the Buckeye men.
- Engel was named the USTFCCCA National Athlete of the Week and the Big Ten Athlete of the Week after her performance at the Big Ten Preview. She won the meet in a time of 20:54.4, coming from behind in the final kilometer to pass two Wolverines for the win. It was her second career Big Ten weekly honor and the first USTFCCCA national award for a Buckeye during cross country season.
- Santos has Top 5 finishes in the first two races of the season, placing third in the season opener and then taking fifth at the Big Ten Preview. Kuhn was in the Top 10 in both races, finishing fourth and ninth.
- Keegan Souhan, Sean Carney and Ivan Slyepkan have been among the Buckeyes’ Top 3 finishers for the men in the first two races this season.
The Schedule Ahead
- Next week, the Buckeyes will head to Chicago for the Lakefront Invitational hosted by Loyola Sept. 30.
- The final regular season race is the Arturo Barrios Invitational in College Station, Texas, Oct. 15.
- Michigan will host the Big Ten Championships Oct. 28 in Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Terre Haute, Ind., will be the site of the 2022 NCAA Great Lakes Regional Championships Nov. 11 and the NCAA Championships will be held in Stillwater, Okla., Nov. 19.