Ohio State at Rutgers
Date: Oct. 31
Time: 1 p.m.
Venue: Yurcak Field (5,000)
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Rutgers
Rosters: Ohio State | Rutgers
Season Stats: Ohio State | Rutgers
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State (6-8-1, 2-5-0) completes the 2021 regular season this fall at Rutgers (8-5-2, 2-4-1) Sunday. First kick is at 1 p.m. The game will be live streamed by B1G+($). Ohio State has won its last two games, both in Columbus, by 2-1 scores over Penn State and Michigan.
The most recent victory came over Michigan in the home season finale. Senior Xavier Green scored in the first half before the Wolverines tied the match at 1-all. Sophomore captain Laurence Wootton, the reigning Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, scored the game winner in the 89th minute to give the Buckeyes the win.
- Follow live stats at OhioStateBuckeyes.com. The game will be streamed live on B1G+.
- Xavier Green and Laurence Wootton each scored in the thrilling 2-1 win over Michigan last Tuesday in Columbus. Green put the Buckeyes up 1-0 in the first half and Wootton secured the win with the go-ahead score in the 89th minute.
- Wootton was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week Oct. 26 after a three-point game vs. Penn State in which he scored and assisted on another goal in a 2-1 win over the Nittany Lions. He then scored that same night in the 2-1 win over the Wolverines in Columbus.
- Wootton, a sophomore captain, has been named a Top 25 men’s soccer student-athlete nationally by TopDrawerSoccer.
Wootton leads the Buckeyes with 14 points and six goals on the season. The midfielder from Halstead, England, is ranked as the No. 21 player by TopDrawerSoccer.com. He is the second-highest rated player in the Big Ten.
- Seven seniors were recognized prior to the game vs. the Nittany Lions Oct. 22. Three (Noah Lawrence, Joe Ortiz and Samuel Buzzas) were recognized in the spring but elected to return for the 2021 Fall Season. Sam Mason, Tommy Marusic, Luis Hernandez and Luke Kiley also were honored.
- Ohio State freshmen Nathan Demian and Anthony Samways were named to the TopDrawerSoccer Top 100 Freshmen list (midseason). Demian, a defender from British Columbia, was ranked No. 36 nationally while Samways, a midfielder from Loveland, Ohio, came in at No. 62.
- Ohio State is playing its fourth season under head coach Brian Maisonneuve.
- Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
- Trailing 1-0 in the 88th minute, senior Devyn Etling, who was making his first start of the fall season, headed in a long cross from sophomore Owen Sullivan to send the game vs. No. 17 Bowling Green into overtime. After senior keeper Keagan McLaughlin stopped a Falcon PK attempt, senior Xavier Green scored in the 106′ for the game winner in double OT.
- With the 2-1 (2ot) win over No. 17 Bowling Green, Ohio State is 3-1 vs. Ohio teams this year following shutouts of both Cleveland State (2-0) and No. 7 Akron (1-0) and a loss to Xavier (2-1).
- Sophomores Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch Aug. 23 following a vote by the Big Ten Coaches prior to the season. Wootton leads the Buckeyes with 14 points. Green is next with nine.
- Ohio State returned all 12 players with points from the 2021 Spring season, including all eight goal scorers.
- Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the league’s 2021 Freshman of the Year.
- Three Buckeyes elected to use the extra year of eligibility afforded by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Samuel Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence returned to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Ohio State started the season with a 1-1 record in the annual Wolstein Classic on the Ohio State campus. The Buckeyes defeated Memphis 3-2 and fell to UAB 2-1 in overtime. Laurence Wootton and Channing Chasten earned All-Tournament honors.
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Oct. 31 / 1 p.m. / Piscataway, New Jersey
Location: Piscataway, New Jersey
Home Field: Yurcak Field (5,000)
Head Coach: Jim McElderry
Career Record: 146-142-53 (19 yrs.)
Record at School: 19-17-6 (3 yrs.)
2021 Spring Record: 4-4-1, 4-4-0 (Big Ten)
OSU Series Record: 6-2-0
(H: 3-1-0; A: 2-1-0; N: 1-0-0)
Last Meeting: 11/9/19, W, 1-0, Bloomington, Ind.
2019 Big Ten Tournament