COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State defeated Arkansas 4-1 on Sunday, crowning them ITA Kickoff Weekend Champions.
Doubles play went smoothly for the Buckeyes as they took the match lead 1-0 behind wins from Wolf/Joyce and Kobelt/Trotter.
The singles matches however, were a much tougher battle for the Buckeyes. Both teams went back and forth in most of the matches and at times, it was tough to tell how things would go for Ohio State.
But sure enough, down the stretch, Kyle Seelig came up big to win the third and final singles match after JJ Wolf and Hunter Tubert had already been victorious. Seelig’s match went to a tiebreaker to decide the ITA Kickoff Weekend Final.
1. JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Oscar Mesquida (AR) 6-3, 6-3
2. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) def. John McNally (OSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Alex Reco (AR) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
4. James Trotter (OSU) vs. Pedro Alonso (AR) 6-2, 5-7, unfinished
5. Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Enrique Paya (AR) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, unfinished
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Jose Alonso (AR) 6-4, 6-1
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Oscar Mesquida/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 6-3
2. Alex Kobelt/James Trotter (OSU) def. Maxim Verboven/Enrique Paya (AR) 6-2
3. Hunter Tubert/John McNally (OSU) vs. Alex Reco/Josh Howard-Tripp (AR) 5-3, unfinished
The Buckeyes are 22-0 when competing in the ITA Kickoff Weekend with a point differential of 111-6. Todays 4-1 scoreline marks the first time Ohio State has conceded a point in the ITA event since 2014.
With the win in this event, Ohio State has earned its spot at the ITA Division 1 National Team Indoor Championships in Chicago on February 15-17.
Ohio State will next face Toledo in a dual match later today.