COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 3 Ohio State men’s tennis team moved to 13-1 with their 4-0 sweep of Notre Dame in South Bend. This 4-0 win is the Buckeyes’ eleventh sweep of the season.
In doubles, lineups were reconfigured and featured new duos with Matej Vocel/James Trotter and Robert Cash/Justin Boulais. These pairs put together two strong rallies for the Buckeyes to take the doubles point. Vocel and Trotter finished first after a huge rally from being down 2-4 to taking the match 6-4. Cash and Boulais clinched the doubles point with their 7-5 victory after coming back from a 5-4 deficit.
In singles, the Buckeyes sealed the sweep with two straight set victories and a strong bounce back performance. JJ Tracy has been blitzing his matches as of late and maintained that trend by finishing first in his 6-2, 6-4 dominant victory. Jake Van Emburgh finished soon after with a quick 6-3, 6-2 win for his second consecutive match earning a singles point for the Buckeyes. There was a battle for the final point of the day where after nearly 30 minutes of play, Kingsley sealed the Buckeye sweep with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 decisive comeback win.
#3 Ohio State 4, #27 Notre Dame 0
1. #10 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. Axel Nefve (ND) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
2. Aditya Vashistha (ND) vs. #5 Matej Vocel (OSU) 6-7 (2), 3-3, unfinished
3. Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) def. Matthew Che (ND) 6-3, 6-2
4. Connor Fu (ND) vs. #33 James Trotter (OSU) 5-7, 5-6, unfinished
5. #11 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Peter Conklin (ND) 6-2, 6-4
6. Jean-Marc Malkowski (ND) vs. Justin Boulais (OSU) 3-6, 6-4, 0-3, unfinished
1. Robert Cash/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Matthew Che/Axel Nefve (ND) 7-5
2. Matthew Halpin/Peter Conklin (ND) vs. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) 5-5, unfinished
3. Matej Vocel/James Trotter (OSU) def. Connor Fu/Jean-Marc Malkowski (ND) 6-4
Ohio State 13-1; National ranking #3
Notre Dame 7-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,3,1)