No. 3 Ohio State vs. No. 7 Purdue and No. 20 Penn State
Dates: Friday, September 24, 2021 and Sunday, September 26, 2021
Venues: Halloway Gymnasium (West Lafayette, Ind.) on Friday and Rec Hall (University Park, Pa.) on Sunday
- at No. 7 Purdue (Sept. 24 at 7 p.m. ET) | Live Stats | BTN
- at No. 20 Penn State (Sept. 26 at 4 p.m. ET) | Live Stats | BTN
Rosters: Ohio State | Purdue | Penn State
Game Notes: Ohio State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s volleyball team (10-0) begins Big Ten conference play with two road matches this weekend. On Friday, the Buckeyes take on seventh-ranked Purdue (8-1) at 7 p.m. in West Lafayette. OSU then travels to No. 20 Penn State (7-3) for a Sunday match at 4 p.m. Both matches will be broadcast live on BTN. Fans need a TV login to watch BTN.
Last weekend, the Buckeyes wrapped up non-conference play with two wins against Notre Dame and the Covelli opener. On Friday, Ohio State earned a sweep (25-23, 25-19, 25-19) on the road against the Irish. On Sunday, the Buckeyes welcomed more than 3,000 fans to Covelli and earned their first five-set win (25-17, 20-25, 25-20, 23-25, 15-9) of the season.
- OSU maintained its No. 3 ranking in Monday’s AVCA weekly poll. This is the highest the Buckeyes have been ranked in program history.
- Junior libero Kylie Murr was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for her play against Notre Dame.
- Last Friday at Notre Dame, Ohio State enjoyed its second-best hitting performance (.394) of the season and the first time surpassing 50 kills in a three-set match.
- On Sunday, the Buckeyes defense limited the Irish to hitting just .115 on the match – the eighth time an opponent has hit less than .200 against OSU this season.
- Purdue holds an 8-1 record heading into Friday’s match. Last weekend, the Boilermakers earned three sweeps at the Stacey Clark Classic, beating Jacksonville State, Purdue Fort Wayne and No. 22 Tennessee.
- The Boilermakers are 2-1 against ranked opponents this season, sweeping No. 25 Washington State on Sept. 3 and No. 22 Tennessee on Sept. 18 but falling to No. 10 Louisville in four sets on Sept. 10.
- Purdue leads the all-time series with Ohio State 48-44. Last season, the Boilermakers took both matches in four sets inside Covelli. The Buckeyes are 15-24 when playing in West Lafayette.
- Penn State enters the weekend with a 7-3 record and open Big Ten play at Rutgers on Friday. Last weekend, the Nittany Lions swept Robert Morris and West Virginia at WVU.
- PSU is 0-3 against ranked opponents this season, falling to No. 24 Georgia Tech in four sets, No. 11 Oregon in three sets and No. 14 Stanford in five sets.
- Penn State has the 50-18 advantage in the all-time series against Ohio State. OSU won both matchups last season, winning a five-setter at home and earning a sweep on the road. The Buckeyes are 6-27 when playing in University Park.
Be sure to come cheer on Ohio State women’s volleyball inside the Covelli Center this season. Season tickets and single match tickets are available now through Ticketmaster.com.