COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 2 Ohio State men’s tennis team improved to 21-2 and stayed undefeated in Big Ten play with a huge win over No. 7 Michigan. Ohio State evens the score with Michigan and are 1-1 vs. the Wolverines this year. With today’s win, the Buckeyes are 6-0 in Big Ten play.
The Buckeyes are 6-1 against top ten teams this season.
The full capacity crowd was in for a long, back-and-forth doubles point that finished with a Buckeye win. Andrew Lutschaunig and Justin Boulais started behind 0-1. However, they quickly found their rhythm winning three straight and finished first with a 6-4 win over the 25th ranked doubles team in the country. The two remaining duos, number one ranked Matej Vocel/Robert Cash and Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy traded points going back and forth with their opponents the entire match. Vocel and Cash were fighting from behind for the duration of the match until winning three straight after being down 4-5 to seal the doubles point for the Buckeyes with their win over 23rd ranked duo Fenty/Ehrenschneider.
In singles, the Buckeyes came out hot with two straight set victories. JJ Tracy finished first on court two with a dominant 6-2, 6-3 win. Jake Van Emburgh finished just after with a strong performance winning 6-1, 6-3 making the Buckeye lead 3-0. A typical Ohio State vs. Michigan war ensued in the final four matches where all four reached a third set. Kingsley and Vocel were simultaneously playing for the clinching point on courts one and three. After over 30 minutes of additional play, Kingsley sealed the 4-1 Buckeye win in the third set with his 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 victory. Kingsley avenged his defeat from earlier this season with this win.
— Ohio State M Tennis (@OhioStateMTEN) April 16, 2022
The Buckeyes face Michigan State at home this Sunday at noon for their final home match of the regular season.
#2 Ohio State 4, #7 Michigan 1
1. #11 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. #25 Ondrej Styler (UM) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. #19 JJ Tracy (OSU) def. #55 Andrew Fenty (UM) 6-2, 6-3
3. #7 Matej Vocel (OSU) vs. Patrick Maloney (UM) 2-6, 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
4. #112 Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) def. #83 Gavin Young (UM) 6-1, 6-3
5. #46 Jacob Bickersteth (UM) def. #106 Robert Cash (OSU) 6-2, 4-6, 1-6
6. #32 James Trotter vs. Nick Beaty (UM) 1-6, 6-4, 5-6, unfinished
1. #1 Matej Vocel/Robert Cash (OSU) def. #23 Andrew Fenty/Nino Ehrenschneider (UM) 7-5
2. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) vs. Patrick Maloney/Nick Beaty (UM) 5-6, unfinished
3. Andrew Lutschaunig/Justin Boulais (OSU) def. #25 Ondrej Styler/Gavin Young (UM) 6-4
Ohio State 21-2; National ranking #2
Michigan 16-3; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,4,1)