No. 13 Ohio State at Cleveland State
Date: Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2022
Time: 7 p.m. ET
Venue: Cleveland, Ohio — Krenzler Field (3,000)
Live Stats: CSUvikings.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Cleveland State
Rosters: Ohio State PDF | Cleveland State
Season Stats: Ohio State | Cleveland State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 13 Ohio State (5-0-2) steps out of Big Ten Conference play to face intrastate opponent Cleveland State (4-1-1) on the road Wednesday at Krenzler Field.
The Buckeyes are fresh from a 2-1 win over No. 15 Indiana Sunday after a 3-all draw at No. 14 Akron last week.
- Follow live stats at OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Games are streamed live on B1G+ unless otherwise indicated. The Cleveland State road game will be steamed by ESPN+.
- The Buckeyes are off to the best start of a season (5-0-2) since 2001 when the team started 6-0-1. Here are the best starts to a season in OSU history:
- Ohio State played three-consecutive Top 15 opponents prior to facing the Vikings. Ohio State defeated No. 12 Butler Sept. 9 (2-0) then battled to a 3-all draw at No. 14 Akron Sept. 13 before knocking off No. 15 Indiana Sunday in Columbus (2-1).
- Senior Xavier Green was named the Co-Offensive Player of the Week by the Big Ten Tuesday after scoring goals at No. 14 Akron (T, 3-3) and vs. No. 15 Indiana (W, 2-1). His efforts also earned him a spot on the TopDrawerSoccer Team of the Week (Sept. 18).
- Senior Keagan McLaughlin has posted four-consecutive shutouts and has held opponents to just one goal over his first five games of the season. The Notre Dame transfer, has 14-career shutouts and four as a Buckeye.
- McLaughlin’s efforts in a 1-0 win at Bowling Green and a 2-0 home win over Wright State earned him the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week (9/6/22). He added another league honor last Sept. 13 when he was named the Co-Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after a 2-0 shutout of No. 12 Butler. McLaughlin’s efforts also earned him a spot on the CollegeSoccerNews Team of the Week (Sept. 11) as the keeper.
- Freshman Marko Borkovic also was recognized Sept. 13 by the league office when he was named the Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week after putting Ohio State on the board first with a goal in the second half vs. Butler, his third of the season.
- Ohio State had last recorded four-consecutive shutouts in 2017 when it posted six-consecutive blankings from 9/1/17 to 9/22/17). Ohio State shutout seven of its first eight foes that year.
- As of Sept. 19, the Buckeyes have allowed the fewest goals among Big Ten teams to date (5) and are second in goals scored with 14. Ohio State leads the league in shots (111), shots on goal (55), corners (58) and are second in save percentage (.792).
- Borkovic leads the Big Ten in game-winning goals with two and is fourth in goals (3).
- McLaughlin leads the league in goals against average (.200), save percentage (.947) and shutouts (4).
- Laurence Wootton, Nathan Demian and Luciano Pechota were named to the 2022 Wolstein Classic All-Tournament Team. Wootton had a goal and an assist, Pechota recorded a pair of assists and Demian led a defense that allowed just one goal over the two games.
- The Big Ten named Wootton its Offensive Player of the Week Aug. 30 for his efforts in the Wolstein Classic.
Wootton, Deylen Vellios and Owen Sullivan are the designated captains for the 2022 season.
- Ohio State has won 10 of the last 12 games played in the series with Cleveland State. The Buckeyes have not traveled to face the Vikings since 2001, a 1-0 win for the Buckeyes (10/10/01).
- In games played at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium since it opened in 1999, Ohio State is 128-67-33.
- Seniors Xavier Green and Etling elected to return to the Ohio State roster for a fifth year in 2022. Green started his Ohio State career in 2018 while Etling has been with the program since 2017 when he received a medical redshirt. Etling scored off a header vs. No. 12 Butler in Ohio State’s 2-0 win vs. the Bulldogs in his first game back from injury this season. Green scored unassisted in the 3-all draw at No. 14 Akron last Tuesday and tallied the first goal of the game vs. No. 15 Indiana Sept. 18 (W, 2-0).
- Former Ohio State head coach John Bluem was inducted into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame with the class of 2022 during ceremonies Sept. 9 at the Covelli Center on the Ohio State campus. Bluem posted 206 wins over 21 seasons (1997-2017) with 10 trips to the NCAA Tournament, including a run to the College Cup Final in 2007.
- The Buckeyes are led in 2022 by two-time All-Big Ten selection Laurence Wootton, a junior from Stoke-on-Trent, England. He was named the 2021 team MVP following a 14-point, six-goal sophomore season. Owen Sullivan, a junior from Dublin, was named most improved in 2021. Keagan McLaughlin, a transfer from Notre Dame, earned the Connor Senn Award, an honor named for the Ohio State walk-on who became a starter before he tragically died of a heart condition during a 2001 match at Akron.
- This fall, the Buckeyes returned four of the six players with goals in 2021, led by Wootton (6), Green (4), Etling (3) and Joakim Jahnsen (1).
Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.