Box Score | Season Totals
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 13 Ohio State (5-1-3, 1-1-0) suffered its first loss of the season with a 1-0 setback at No. 9 Maryland (5-1-2, 2-0-1) Sunday at Ludwig Field in College Park.
Ohio State keeper Max Trejo, a redshirt freshman, has started the last four games and had not allowed a goal over 164 minutes before Maryland’s Max Riley broke a scoreless battle in the 56th minute.
The Buckeyes had several chances late in the second half but were not able to get the game-tying goal.
How it Happened
After playing scoreless soccer over the first 55 minutes, Maryland took the lead at 1-0 with a goal by Max Riley in the 56th minute.
The Buckeyes were not able to net the equalizer to fall for the first time this season. The Buckeyes tied a school record the last time out with a 0-0 draw at Cleveland State for the most games to start a season without a loss at eight (5-0-3).
The Buckeyes held the advantage in shots (9-5) and corners (7-1) but were only able to get one shot on goal in the loss.
- With the result at Cleveland State, Ohio State went undefeated against intrastate foes in 2022. The Buckeyes won at Bowling Green (1-0), defeated Wright State in Columbus (2-0) and tied No. 14 Akron (3-3) and the Vikings (0-0) on the road. The last time the Buckeyes played four Ohio in a season without a defeat was in 2015 at Akron (T, 3-3, 2ot), vs. Dayton (W, 2-0), vs. Bowling Green (W, 2-1), vs. Cleveland State (W, 1-0) and vs. Dayton (T, 1-1, 2ot, pks 4-3) in the NCAA Tournament in Columbus.
- Ohio State played three-consecutive Top 15 opponents prior to facing the Vikings. Ohio State defeated No. 12 Butler Sept. 9 (2-0) then battled to a 3-all draw at No. 14 Akron Sept. 13 before knocking off No. 15 Indiana Sunday in Columbus (2-1). Ohio State has played four Top 15 opponents in the last five outings.
- Senior Xavier Green was named the Co-Offensive Player of the Week by the Big Ten last Tuesday after scoring goals at No. 14 Akron (T, 3-3) and vs. No. 15 Indiana (W, 2-1). His efforts also earned him a spot on the TopDrawerSoccer Team of the Week (Sept. 18).
- Senior Keagan McLaughlin has posted four-consecutive shutouts and has held opponents to just one goal over his first five games of the season. The Notre Dame transfer, has 14-career shutouts and four as a Buckeye.
- McLaughlin’s efforts in a 1-0 win at Bowling Green and a 2-0 home win over Wright State earned him the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week (9/6/22). He added another league honor last Sept. 13 when he was named the Co-Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after a 2-0 shutout of No. 12 Butler. McLaughlin’s efforts also earned him a spot on the CollegeSoccerNews Team of the Week (Sept. 11) as the keeper.
- Freshman Marko Borkovic also was recognized Sept. 13 by the league office when he was named the Big Ten Co-Offensive Player of the Week after putting Ohio State on the board first with a goal in the second half vs. Butler, his third of the season.
- Ohio State had last recorded four-consecutive shutouts in 2017 when it posted six-consecutive blankings from 9/1/17 to 9/22/17). Ohio State shutout seven of its first eight foes that year.
- Borkovic leads the Big Ten in game-winning goals with two and is sixth in goals (3).
- McLaughlin leads the league in goals against average (.200), save percentage (.947) and shutouts (4).
- The Big Ten named Wootton its Offensive Player of the Week Aug. 30 for his efforts in the Wolstein Classic.
- Wootton, Deylen Vellios and Owen Sullivan are the designated captains for the 2022 season.
Buckeyes In the Polls
After a pair of wins and a tie over Top 15 opponents, Ohio State moved to No. 13 last week in the United Soccer Coaches Poll (Sept. 20). It’s the highest ranking for the Buckeyes since Ohio State was rated No. 12 near the end of the 2015 campaign.
No. 13 Ohio State returns to Columbus to play host to Rutgers at 7 p.m. Friday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Buckeyes will celebrate Hispanic Heritage Night at the game, which will be streamed live by B1G+($).