COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s tennis team defeated Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon in dominant fashion, 6-1.
In a match day that started awfully wild as the OSU Varsity Tennis Center and parts of central Ohio lost power, the Buckeyes eventually would make it onto the court and put on a great performance. The match was originally scheduled for a 12:00 noon start, but was delayed 90 minutes.
Ohio State took the match lead 1-0 through doubles play. They have won the doubles point in all 15 matches this season. JJ Wolf and Martin Joyce dominated the No. 17 ranked doubles tandem of Michael Ciamarra and Tristan McCormick, 6-1. The Buckeye duo lost the opening game, but Wolf and Joyce rallied off six consecutive game-wins to win their match and give Ohio State the upper hand. John McNally and Hunter Tubert secured the doubles point for the Buckeyes, defeating Gamble/Broadus 6-4.
To begin singles play, the Buckeyes either trailed or were tied after the first few games of the first set. But a slow start wouldnt be enough for Notre Dame as Ohio State would end up winning five of six singles matches. Wolf, McNally, Alex Kobelt and Kyle Seelig would each win in two sets for the Buckeyes, with Martin Joyce winning a hard-fought match over Axel Nefve at the end.
Overall it was another match against a ranked opponent for the No. 1 Buckeyes and yet again, they came out on top. This is Ohio States eighth-consecutive match against a ranked opponent, and their ninth in their last ten matches. Ohio State has been victorious in each one and now sits at 15-0. Ohio State will next take on Penn State in State College, PA on Friday March 1.
1. #1 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #15 Alex Lebedev (ND) 7-5, 6-3
2. #30 John McNally (OSU) def. #93 Richard Ciamarra (ND) 6-3, 6-4
3. Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Tristan McCormick (ND) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Axel Nefve (ND) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-3)
5. #91 Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Matt Gamble (ND) 7-6 (13-11)
6. #60 William Howells (ND) def. Hunter Tubert (OSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. #17 Richard Ciamarra/Tristan McCormick (ND) 6-1
2. #3 Alex Kobelt/Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Alex Lebedev/Axel Nefve (ND) 5-4, unfinished
3. John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Matt Gamble/Grayson Broadus (ND) 6-4
Notre Dame 8-6; National ranking #12
Ohio State 15-0; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,3,5,6,4)
Official: Marcus Lee