No. 1 Ohio State at RV St. Cloud State
Date: Jan. 20/21, 2023
Time: 4 p.m. ET/3 p.m. ET
Venue: Herb Brooks National Hockey Center
Watch: B1G+ ($)
Live Stats: SCSUHuskies.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | St. Cloud State
Rosters: Ohio State | St. Cloud State
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State makes the trip to St. Cloud, Minn. this weekend as the No. 1 Buckeyes (20-2-2, 15-2-1 WCHA) meet St. Cloud State (13-12-0, 6-12-0 WCHA) Jan. 20-21 at the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center. Puck drop is set for 4 p.m. ET Friday and 3 p.m. ET Saturday. Both games can be streamed on B1G+ (subscription required).
Buckeyes in a Nutshell
- Last weekend, the Buckeyes earned a sweep of Wisconsin at the OSU Ice Rink. Ohio State earned a 2-1 overtime win in game one and shut out the Badgers for a 5-0 win in game two to earn five conference points. Paetyn Levis, Emma Maltais and Makenna Webster recorded a team-high four points each in the series. Raygan Kirk and Amanda Thiele each played one game in goal for Ohio State and kept the Badgers to just one goal on the weekend.
- Jenn Gardiner leads the team with 36 points on the year. She has recorded 12 goals and 24 assists this season.
- Gardiner and Maltais are tied for the team lead in assists (24). Maltais, who missed two games this season to play with Team Canada in the Rivalry Series, is second in the country with 1.09 assists per game. Gardiner ranks fifth with 1.00.
- Sophie Jaques paces the Buckeyes with 17 goals this season. She ranks fifth in the country in goals per game (0.71) and is tied for third in total goals scored. Jaques has outscored defensemen nationally by seven goals. Her 34 points this year are 12 more than the next highest scoring defenseman in the country.
- Thiele picked up a shutout Saturday against Wisconsin to improve to 10-1-1 on the year. She is fourth in the country, and first in the conference, in win percentage (.875).
- The Buckeyes are tied for second in the country in scoring offense with 4.46 goals per game.
- Ohio State has won its last six games, including a pair of wins against both Cornell and Lindenwood to close out 2022.
- Ohio State has received all 20 first-place votes in the DCU/USCHO.com poll and 18 of 19 first-place votes in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll for the second straight week. The team remains at the top of both national polls.
- Maltais was named one of 15 nominees for the 2023 Hockey Humanitarian Award on Wednesday. Throughout her five-year career at Ohio State, she has committed to serving the Ohio State, Columbus and hockey communities. Most recently, she has been involved with VOICEINSPORT (VIS) to create mentorship programs in which female athletes can connect with an empower younger, aspiring athletes.
Series History – Buckeyes vs. Huskies
- Ohio State owns a 2-0 record against the Huskies this season, sweeping them in the first home series of the year.
- Sloane Matthews, Sydney Morrow and Makenna Webster tallied their first career points as Buckeyes in the series.
- Sophie Jaques recorded Ohio State’s first three power play goals in the team’s first home series of the season.
- The Buckeyes are 56-30-10 in the all-time series against St. Cloud State and are unbeaten in the last 20 matchups against the Huskies.
Ohio State returns home to play Minnesota State Jan. 27-28 at the OSU Ice Rink. The Buckeyes and Mavericks face off Friday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. Both games will be streamed on B1G+.