No. 1 Ohio State vs. No. 8 Minnesota Duluth
Date: Dec. 2/3, 2022
Time: 4 p.m. ET
Venue: Amsoil Arena
Watch: BTN (Friday) | B1G+ (Saturday)
Live Stats: UMDBulldogs.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Minnesota Duluth
Rosters: Ohio State | Minnesota Duluth
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 1 Ohio State women’s hockey team is back on the road this weekend to meet No. 8 Minnesota Duluth in Duluth, Minn. The two-game series between the Buckeyes and the Bulldogs is set for 4 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
Friday’s matchup will be broadcast nationally on the Big Ten Network with Sloane Martin and Julie Friend on the call. Saturday’s game will be streamed on B1G+ (subscription required).
Buckeyes in a Nutshell
- Ohio State enters the matchup following a 1-0-1 result against No. 6 Colgate last week. The Buckeyes tied the first game against the Raiders, 4-4, before winning the second, 6-2.
- Jenn Gardiner led the Buckeyes with five points in the series and Raygan Kirk made a season-high 30 stops in the 6-2 victory.
- The trip to Duluth will be the team’s first of three straight road matchups, including trips to Cornell and Lindenwood before the new year.
- Sophie Jaques remains the top point producer for the Buckeyes through 16 games this season. She has collected 25 points so far this year with a team-high 15 goals and an additional 10 assists. Jenn Gardiner is second with 23 points, including a team-high 16 assists.
- Ohio State has earned the top spot in both national polls this week. The Buckeyes are receiving 11 first place votes in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll and 14 first-place votes in the DCU/USCHO.com poll.
- The team currently sits atop the WCHA conference standings as well, with 37 points. Ohio State owns a 12-1-1 conference record headed into this weekend’s series.
- Graduate forward Paetyn Levis is just two points shy of 100 for her career. She currently stands at 98 points (40G, 58A). Gardiner, a senior, is next with 92 points (39G, 53A).
- This year, five Buckeyes crossed the 100-game mark for their career. Gardiner and Brooke Bink have skated in 112 and 111 games, respectively, in their Buckeye careers. Teagan Grant (100), Hadley Hartmetz (106) and Lauren Bernard (110) have played over 100 games for their collegiate careers.
- Amanda Thiele leads Buckeye netminders with 10 starts this season. She’s made 163 saves on the year for a .886 save percentage. She owns an 8-1-1 record in goal this year.
- Ohio State’s power play is the best in the country with a .349 success rate. Jaques is the top power play scorer in the country with seven power play goals on the year. She leads all skaters by a two-goal margin. She is also tied for the most goals scored this season (15).
- This week’s series against No. 8 Minnesota Duluth is the fourth ranked matchup for the Buckeyes this season. The team is 3-1-2 against ranked opponents this year.
- Ohio State has scored first in 12 of its 16 games this season and is undefeated when first on the board.
Series History – Buckeyes vs. Bulldogs
- Ohio State swept its last series against Minnesota Duluth 3-2 in overtime and 3-2 in regulation.
- Coincidentally, the final score of 3-2 was also the score of the Buckeyes’ national championship win over the Bulldogs last March.
- Since head coach Nadine Muzerall took over the program, Ohio State is 12-9-1 against Minnesota Duluth. The Bulldogs lead the all-time series, 72-25-8.
- In the Buckeyes’ last trip to Duluth, the team split the series with a 502 defeat in game one followed by a 6-2 win in game two.
WCHA Honor Roll
- Following their performances against Colgate, Raygan Kirk and Sophie Jaques earned WCHA Player of the Week awards.
- Earning her first WCHA award of her career, Kirk made 30 stops against the Raiders to help Ohio State to a 6-2 win. Jaques picked up her fifth Defender of the Week award after tallying three points on two goals and one assist. She blocked three shots and helped Ohio State’s penalty kill finish 7-for-8 against the Raiders.
- Jenna Buglioni was also named November’s WCHA Forward of the Month. She led conference skaters with 11 points in six games played during the month.
- Jaques won her second consecutive Defender of the Month award, with 10 points and two power play goals to help the Buckeyes to an undefeated 5-0-1 record last month.
Ohio State travels to Ithaca, N.Y. to play No. 10 Cornell on Dec. 17-18 at Lynah Rink. Saturday’s game is set for 7 p.m. and Sunday’s game is at 3 p.m. and both games will be streamed on ESPN+ (subscription required).