CHICAGO, Ill. – The Buckeyes capped a dominate weekend by winning the ITA Indoor Team National Championship with a 4-2 victory over Wake Forest.
This is Ohio State’s second indoor championship as they also won the title in 2014 in Houston. The win was made a bit sweeter as it came over a Demon Deacon squad that defeated the Buckeyes in last year’s NCAA Championship.
Ohio State remains perfect on the season at 13-0 and now has wins over seven top-25 teams.
The doubles point is the most critical point in the collegiate game and it was a hotly contested one on Monday. The Buckeye duo of Alex Kobelt and Kyle Seelig won for the second day in a row, defeating Bar Botzer and Petros Chrysochos 6-1. JJ Wolf and Martin Joyce fell 6-3 on court one leaving the match to Hunter Tubert and John McNally. The teams traded a break each in the match and eventually would go to a tiebreak. Leading 4-3, the Buckeyes won both points on Wake’s serve and then McNally closed it out to put Ohio State ahead 1-0.
Arguably the best singles player in the country so far this season is Ohio State’s JJ Wolf and he proved it this weekend. He rolled to three straight-set wins leading into Monday and then he downed Bona Gojo 6-0, 6-3 to put the second point on the board for the Buckeyes.
Kobelt followed not too long after with a 6-3, 6-3 win on court five over Yuval Solomon. That put the Buckeyes one point away and it wouldn’t come without a fight. Seelig dropped his match to No. 21 Botzer 6-2, 6-3 and Tubert was outlasted in three sets on court six and suddenly the Demon Deacons we’re back in the match at 3-2.
McNally and Joyce both won the opening set and were up breaks in the second. But both would lose those breaks right around the same time Wake was cutting into the lead. Joyce grabbed the momentum back with a break at 5-5 and then the senior from nearby Hinsdale, Ill., secured the championship for the Buckeyes 7-5, 7-5.
#2 Ohio State 4, #1 Wake Forest 2
1. #2 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Bona Gojo (WF) 6-0, 6-3
2. #62 John McNally (OSU) vs. #1 Petros Chrysochos (WF) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), unfinished
3. #21 Bar Botzer (WF) def. #12 Kyle Seelig (OSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. #49 Melios Efstathiou (WF) 7-5, 7-5
5. #86 Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Yuval Solomon (WF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Siddhant Banthia (WF) def. Hunter Tubert (OSU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
1. Bona Gojo/Alan Gadjiev (WF) def. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) 6-3
2. #7 Kyle Seelig/Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Petros Chrysochos/Bar Botzer (WF) 6-1
3. Hunter Tubert/John McNally (OSU) def. Siddhant Banthia/Julian Zlobinsky (WF) 7-6 (7-3)
Wake Forest 12-2; National ranking #1
Ohio State 13-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,5,3,6,4)
ITA Indoor Team National Championship Match