Ohio State vs. #23/24 Florida
Date: November 24, 2021
Time: 8:30 p.m.
Venue: Suncoast Credit Union Arena – Fort Myers, Fla.
Listen: Ohio State Radio Network from Learfield
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | Florida
Rosters: Ohio State | Florida
Season Stats: Ohio State | Florida
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State will play for a title Wednesday evening as they face No. 23/24 Florida in the finals of the Rocket Mortgage Fort Myers Tip-off. The game is scheduled for an 8:30 p.m. ET tip and Brandon Gaudin and Bill Raftery will call the action on FS1.
- The teams reached the championship game via different routes. The Buckeyes had a back-and-forth tussle with No. 21 Seton Hall, eventually coming away with a 79-76 victory on freshman Meechie Johnson Jr.’s three-pointer with two seconds left. Florida pulled away from Cal at the end of the first half and cruised to a 20-point victory.
- Florida and Ohio State have met 13 times previously with the Buckeyes holding a slight 8-5 edge in the series.
- The most recent meeting was in the second round of the Postseason NIT on March 20, 2016. Four Gators finished in double-figures as they advanced with a 74-66 victory. Marc Loving had 20 points to lead the way for the Buckeyes.
- The Buckeyes and Gators also met in the NCAA Championship game in 2007, another Florida victory. Greg Oden, current OSU graduate assistant, had 25 points, 12 rebounds and four blocks in the game.
- The Gators won both meetings in the 2006-07 season but the Buckeyes won the return game early in the 2007-08 season and then both ends of a home-and-home in 2010 and 2011 before losing in the NIT in 2016.
- J. Liddell has simply been brilliant in the early part of the season. He is averaging 22.4 ppg, hs three games of 25 or more points, including a 28-point effort vs. Seton Hall on Monday. He is shooting over 54 percent from the floor and is also averaging 3.6 blocks per game.
- Meechie Johnson Jr. had made just one shot against Seton Hall until the last possession when he hit the biggest shot of hi young career. That drew a “Big Time Onions” call from legendary announcer Bill Raftery.
- Senior captain Justin Ahrens found his form against Seton Hall Monday night, connecting on 5-of-8 three-point attempts, finishing with a season-high 17 points. He is shooting 52.2 percent from distance this season and has attempted just one shot inside the arc and that came in the season-opener.
- Point guard Jamari Wheeler has 21 assists and just four turnovers on the year.