COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s tennis team opened their ITA National Indoor Championship with a 4-0 win over Tulane on Friday afternoon.
The top-seeded Buckeyes took the match lead 1-0 through doubles play thanks to big performances from JJ Wolf, Martin Joyce, John McNally and Hunter Tubert.
Singles play did not take long to conclude as JJ Wolf, Hunter Tubert and Alex Kobelt secured wins in the second set in each of their matches. JJ Wolf put the Buckeyes up 2-0 quickly and was followed by Tubert and Kobelt in that respective order.
Ohio State is now 10-0 on the season and will take on No. 8 seed Virginia tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 pm EST. While Ohio State defeated Tulane, Virginia kicked off their weekend with a 4-2 victory over Stanford. The Cavaliers are 8-1 this season and have wins over Wake Forrest, Stanford, Texas A&M and Notre Dame. Virginia currently sits at No. 9 in the USTA rankings and No. 13 in the ITA rankings.
1. #2 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #42 Luis Erlenbusch (TUL) 6-2, 6-1
2. #62 John McNally (OSU) vs. #63 Ewan Moore (TUL) 6-2, 5-6, unfinished
3. #12 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Hamish Stewart (TUL) 5-7, 2-4, unfinished
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Dane Esses (TUL) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
5. #86 Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. #76 Tyler Schick (TUL) 7-5, 6-4
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Tim Ruetzel (TUL) 6-3, 6-1
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Ewan Moore/Akos Kotorman (TUL) 6-4
2. Alex Kobelt/James Trotter (OSU) vs. Tyler Schick/Luis Erlenbusch (TUL) 6-5, unfinished
3. Hunter Tubert/John McNally (OSU) def. Hamish Stewart/Tim Ruetzel (TUL) 6-3
Tulane 4-4; National ranking #19
Ohio State 10-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (1,6,5)
ITA Indoor National Team Championship