COLUMBUS, Ohio – This week, the Ohio State women’s tennis team will have players competing in two tournaments. One group will be at the Wolfpack Invitational in Cary, N.C., with another at the ITA Midwest Regional in Champaign, Ill.
The Wolfpack Invitational (Tournament Central)
- The Wolfpack Invitational features four singles players and two doubles teams from the participating schools, with at least two ranked singles players and one ranked doubles pair from most schools.
- The Buckeyes slated to compete in the Wolfpack Invite are Irina Cantos Siemers, Luna Dormet, Lucia Marzal and Sydni Ratliff. They will be joined by players from host NC State, UCF, Tennessee, South Carolina, Miami, Virginia, Michigan, USC, Duke, Oklahoma, UNC and Princeton.
- Singles will be two compass draws of 32 players and there will be back draws. Doubles will be a field of up to 32 teams, divided into pods and playing round-robin within those pods for three total matches.
- Play will begin with two rounds of doubles starting at 3:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon. Friday and Saturday each feature two rounds of singles and Sunday will have one round of both singles and doubles.
ITA Midwest Regional (Tournament Central)
- Four Buckeyes will head west for the ITA Midwest Regional – Lina Ali, Madeline Atway, Shelly Bereznyak and Dani Schoenly.
- Illinois is the host of the regional, held in the Atkins Tennis Center.
- Play, with both singles and doubles, is slated for Friday through Sunday.
- This year, the ITA has added a Super Regional round to the annual regional event. Ohio State will serve as the host of the Super Regional Oct. 22-26 in the Ty Tucker Tennis Center.
Buckeye This and That
- The three Buckeye freshmen – Shelly Bereznyak, Sydni Ratliff and Dani Schoenly – each posted their first collegiate wins last weekend at the Debbie Southern Furman Fall Classic. They combined with sophomore Madeline Atway to total seven singles wins in the tournament.
- In the first ITA Rankings of the season, junior Irina Cantos Siemers was No. 7 in the singles rankings, while the tandem of seniors Isabelle Boulais and Kolie Allen was No. 12 in the doubles rankings. Boulais was also No. 105 in the singles rankings.
- Cantos Siemers was selected for the ITA All-American Championships, set for Oct. 4-10 in Charleston, S.C.
- Last year Ohio State won the Big Ten Tournament title and was the regular season co-champion. The squad hosted NCAA first and second round matches and reached the Round of 16. The Buckeyes return eight players from last year’s team and have added three freshmen.
- Ohio State will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., for the Michigan Invitational Oct. 1-3. Irina Cantos Siemers will be in the ITA All-American Championships starting Oct. 4 in Charleston, S.C.