#2 Ohio State vs. Illinois
Dates: Jan. 21, 2023
Time: 2:45 p.m.
Venue: Ty Tucker Tennis Center – Columbus, Ohio
Live Scoring: Scoring
Live Video: Video
Rosters: Ohio State | Illinois
Rankings: ITA Rankings
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 2 ranked Ohio State has begun 4-0 and will host rival Illinois in a non-conference match on Sunday afternoon at the Ty Tucker Tennis Center. First serve is set for 2:45 p.m. This will be the first of two meetings this season between the two teams.
Admission and parking are free for all men’s tennis regular season matches.
- The Buckeyes have won 10 of the last 11 meetings with Illinois, including a pair of 4-0 sweeps last season. The lone Illini win during this recent stretch was a 4-3 win in the championship of the Big Ten Tournament in 2021.
- Overall, Illinois leads the all-time series with Ohio State 54-53-1 but the Buckeyes are 29-14 against the Illini since Ty Tucker took over in 2000.
- Ohio State opened the season with four consecutive sweeps of Northern Kentucky and Xavier last Sunday and Cleveland State and Toledo on Thursday.
- Andrew Lutschaunig, James Trotter and Alexander Bernard are all 3-0 in singles matches through the first four matches.
- In doubles, Justin Boulais leads the way at 4-0 while Robert Cash is 3-0.
- On the year, JJ Tracy is a team-best 10-4 in singles matches and 12-2 in doubles matches.
- The Buckeyes open the season ranked No. 2 in the ITA preseason rankings.
- Tracy began the fall ranked No. 8 in the ITA rankings and he is the only player who was in the Top 10 to remain in the Top 10 at the end of the fall. He is currently ranked No. 5 in the singles rankings.
- In doubles, Tracy and Lutschaunig are ranked No. 2 in the country. The duo won the ITA Fall National Doubles title, becoming the second consecutive Buckeyes team to win the crown. This was the third consecutive season an Ohio State doubles team played for an ITA Fall Nationals title and the win also ties the Buckeyes with USC for the most doubles titles at the ITA Fall Nationals with five.
- Illinois opened the season with a 6-1 win over Wichita State and a 4-0 in over Bryant in Tempe, Ariz., on Jan. 14. The Illini then lost 4-1 at Kentucky on Saturday.