CHICAGO, Ill. – No. 2 Ohio State continued it dominant run to open the season as it downed No. 13 Virginia 4-0 on Saturday to advance to the semifinals of the ITA Indoor Team National Championship at the Midtown Athletic Club in Chicago.
The Buckeyes opened the match by taking the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. John McNally and Hunter Tubert won four games in a row to take the match on court three 6-2. Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf traded breaks midway through the set on one and went up 5-4 after back-to-back double faults from UVA. Serving for the match, Joyce hammered a second serve on the deuce point to clinch the match 6-4 and give the Buckeyes a 1- lead.
Joyce stayed hot and rolled to a 6-4, 6-3 victory over No. 68 Gianni Ross on court four to put Ohio State ahead 2-0. Shortly after, Tubert took down Aswin Lizen 6-2, 6-3 on court six and the Buckeyes were in front 3-0.
Wolf won the opening set 6-3 over No. 119 Carl Soderlund and took an early break in the second. But he was broken on back-to-back service games and was behind 4-3. He broke right to even the set at 4-4 and after holding for 5-4, he broke yet again to win the match and clinch the team victory 6-4.
McNally took the opening set vs. Henrik Wiersholm on court two while Kyle Seelig and Alex Kobelt each dropped their first sets and were on serve in the second when the match was halted.
The Buckeyes advance to Sunday’s semifinals and will face the winner of the match between Texas and USC on Sunday at 4:30 p.m.
#2 Ohio State 4, #13 Virginia 0
1. #2 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #119 Carl Soderlund (UVA) 6-3, 6-4
2. #62 John McNally (OSU) vs. Henrik Wiersholm (UVA) 7-6 (7-3), 1-4, unfinished
3. #12 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Brandon Nakashima (UVA) 4-6, 3-4, unfinished
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. #68 Gianni Ross (UVA) 6-4, 6-3
5. #86 Alex Kobelt (OSU) vs. #72 Ryan Goetz (UVA) 6-7 (4-7), 3-4, unfinished
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Aswin Lizen (UVA) 6-2, 6-3
1. JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Carl Soderlund/William Woodall (UVA) 6-4
2. Henrik Wiersholm/Brandon Nakashima (UVA) def. Alex Kobelt/James Trotter (OSU) 6-1
3. John McNally/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Gianni Ross/Ryan Goetz (UVA) 6-2
Virginia 8-2; National ranking #13
Ohio State 11-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,6,1)
ITA Indoor National Team Championship