COLUMBUS, Ohio – An Ohio State women’s tennis team trio is heading west this weekend for the Thunderbird Invitational hosted by Arizona State. The tournament runs Friday through Sunday in Tempe, Ariz.
Play is set to start with singles at 11 a.m. ET each day, followed by doubles about 1:30 p.m. ET. The days will wrap up with another round of singles. Live scoring will be available HERE, with more tournament information HERE.
The Buckeyes in Arizona
- Competing for the Buckeyes this week will be Madeline Atway, Lucia Marzal and Danielle Willson.
- In singles, Atway has a 6-3 mark this fall, while Marzal is 4-6 and Willson is 4-3.
- Atway, from Powell, Ohio, is a junior this year, while Marzal is a graduate student and native of Valencia. Spain. Willson, from Newport Beach, Calif., is in her first year as a Buckeye, as she joined the squad as a graduate transfer this fall.
Ratliff at ITA Fall Nationals
- Sydni Ratliff was in San Diego, Calif., this week for ITA Fall National Championships.
- The Buckeye sophomore rallied for a win in the opening round. After dropping the first set 6-0 to Sarah Hamner of South Carolina, Ratliff took the next two sets, 6-3, 6-3, to advance.
- In the Round of 16, Ratliff faced No. 3 seed Abigail Forbes of North Carolina. Ratliff was a 6-3 set-one winner but dropped the second, 6-4. Forbes pulled away late to take the third set, 6-3, and the match.
- Ratliff earned her spot in the 32-player draw after finishing as the runner-up at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships last month.
- The tournaments this week wrap up the Buckeyes’ fall schedule. The squad will return to action in the Michigan Invite Jan. 13-15 in Ann Arbor, Mich.