COLUMBUS, Ohio The No. 36 Ohio State women’s tennis team (4-5, 0-0 Big Ten) won the first of two weekend matches today against No. 57 Washington State (3-6, 0-0 Pac-10), 5-2, at the Student Tennis Center in Eugene, Ore. Tomorrow’s match against No. 45 Oregon will take place at 2 p.m. EST. Live stats are available through www.GoDucks.com.
The Buckeyes led off the match with an old-school flavor in doubles, running out the same No. 1 and No. 2 doubles teams that they employed all of last season, with Angela DiPastina and Christina Keesey playing at the top spot while Julie Blackmore and Cami Hubbs competed at the No. 2 position.
The pairings seemed to work, as Keesey and DiPastina swept Ekaterina Kamendova and Aleksandra Cekic, 8-0, and Blackmore and Hubbs dealt Ioana Oprea and Elisabeth Fournier an 8-3 loss. Kirsten Flower and Paloma Escobedo took care of Bianca Selaru and Marina Nicolas at the No. 3 position, winning 8-5.
Ohio State also controlled singles action, as Flower blitzed Kamendova at the top spot, winning 6-1, 6-1, and Escobedo won 6-2, 6-4, over Fournier in No. 2 singles. Hubbs followed suit from the third spot by taking a 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (6) decision over Cekic, while Keesey defeated Selaru, 6-1, 6-1, in No. 6 singles.
DiPastina was dealt her first singles loss of the spring season by Oprea in No. 4 singles, falling 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (5). Blackmore was also on the losing end of her match in No. 5 singles, falling 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (6) to Nicolas.
Buckeye junior Kirsten Flower returned to the ITA singles rankings in the latest release, rising to the No. 116 nationally. Ohio State as a team also rose from No. 38 to No. 36 in the weekly release of the rankings.
Early season foe Notre Dame, who was ranked as the No. 17 team when the Buckeyes played them, was the No. 5 team in the latest poll while Duke came in as the 6th-ranked team, compared to the No. 9 ranked Duke squad that Ohio State played.
Tennis Match Results
Washington State vs Ohio State
Feb 21, 2009 at Eugene, Ore.
#36 Ohio State 5, #57 Washington State 2
1. Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Ekaterina Kamendova (WAZZU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Paloma Escobedo (OSU) def. Elisabeth Fournier (WAZZU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Aleksandra Cekic (WAZZU) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (6)
4. Ioana Oprea (WAZZU) def. Angela DiPastina (OSU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0 (5)
5. Marina Nicolas (WAZZU) def. Julie Blackmore (OSU) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (6)
6. Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Bianca Selaru (WAZZU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Angela DiPastina/Christina Keesey (OSU) def. Ekaterina Kamendova/Aleksandra Cekic (WAZZU) 8-0
2. Julie Blackmore/Cami Hubbs (OSU) def. Ioana Oprea/Elisabeth Fournier (WAZZU) 8-3
3. Paloma Escobedo/Kirsten Flower (OSU) def. Bianca Selaru/Marina Nicolas (WAZZU) 8-5
Washington State 3-6; National ranking #57
Ohio State 4-5; National ranking #36