Feb. 25, 2005
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team lost to No. 19 Tennessee, 7-0, Friday in Knoxville, Tenn. The loss, which marked OSU’s first road match of the season, drops the Buckeyes’ record to 3-5 (0-0 Big Ten), while the Lady Vols move their winning streak to six and improve to 6-2 (0-0 SEC).
Sunday, the Buckeyes will face No. 7 Kentucky at 2 p.m. and Akron at 8 p.m. at Jesse Owens West Recreation Center in Columbus, Ohio.
Tennessee opened with wins at all three doubles positions. The duo of Bryce Marable and Blakeley Griffith got the Vols the first win of the match with an 8-2 victory over the Buckeye tandem of Emily DeCamilla (Sr., Sacramento, Calif./Maryland) and Meredith Vincent (Sr., Cincinnati, Ohio/Va. Tech) at the No. 2 position. UT’s Melissa Schaub and Sabit Maharaj followed with an 8-3 victory over Buckeyes Lindsey Adams (Sr., Mercer Island, Wash./Mercer Island) and Sonia Ruzimovsky (Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) to clinch the doubles point. At No. 3, Kristin Messmer (So., Lutherville, Md./McDonogh)and Caitlin O’Keefe (Fr., Troy, Mich./Troy) fell, 8-5, to Ghizela Schutte and Ashley Robards.
The Lady Vols swept the Buckeyes in singles action as well. At No. 4, Ruzimovsky suffered her first loss of the spring season, as she lost to Victoria Jones, 6-4, 6-4. She now is 6-1 this spring and leads OSU with a career-best 16 singles wins. In other singles action, No. 70-ranked Maharaj downed OSU’s DeCamilla, 6-0, 6-1, at No. 1, while at No. 2 Griffith beat Anna Volberg (So., Toledo, Ohio/St. Ursula), 6-0, 6-0. UT’s Marable defeated Adams at No. 3 (6-3, 6-0), Schaub turned back OSU’s Messmer, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 5 and at No. 6 Robards closed out the UT win with a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Lindsay Bryan (Sr., New Orleans, La./Ursuline Academy).
Tennis Match Results
Ohio State at Tennessee
Feb 26, 2005 at Columbus, Ohio
#19 Tennessee 7, #65 Ohio State 0
1. #70 Sabita Maharaj (UT) def. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Blakeley Griffith (UT) def. Anna Volberg (OSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Bryce Marable (UT) def. Lindsey Adams (OSU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Victoria Jones (UT) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Melissa Schaub (UT) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Ashley Robards (UT) def. Lindsay Bryan (OSU), 6-3, 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6
1. Melissa Schaub/Sabit Maharaj (UT) def. Lindsey Adams/Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU), 8-3
2. Bryce Marable/Blakeley Griffith (UT) def. Emily DeCamilla/Meredith Vincent (OSU), 8-2
3. Ghizela Schutte/Ashley Robards (UT) def. Kristin Messmer/Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
Ohio State 3-5; National ranking #65
Tennessee 6-2, National ranking #19