April 27, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team (13-13; 3-8 Big Ten) lost in the first round of the Big Ten tournament to No. 10-seed and host Illinois, 4-2, Thursday. The Big Ten tournament is being held at the Atkins Tennis Center and the Illini Grove Tennis Courts in Champaign, Ill., and runs through Sunday.
The Buckeyes won one doubles match but dropped the doubles point to Illinois. At No. 1, Caitlin O’Keefe (So., Troy, Mich./Troy) and Angela DiPastina (Fr., Titusville, N.J.) fell to Macall Harkins and Emily Wang, 9-7. At No. 2, Sonia Ruzimovsky (Jr., Brooklyn N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) and Julie Blackmore (Fr., Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons) defeated Brianna Knue and Shivani Dave by the score of 8-5. At No. 3, Ciara Finucane (Jr., Dublin, Ireland/Georgia Southern) and Kristin Messmer (Jr., Lutherville, Md./McDonogh) lost to Alejandra Meza Cuadra and Momei Qu, 8-3.
In singles, Ruzimovsky fell to Harkins, 7-5, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot. At No. 2, O’Keefe defeated Qu, 6-4, 6-2. At No. 3, Blackmore faced off against Knue, but the match was clinched before they finished. At No. 4, Finucane downed Wang, 6-2, 6-1. At No. 5, Messmer was downed by Dave, 6-4, 7-5. DiPastina was defeated by Cuadra at No. 6 by the score of 6-4, 6-2. No. 10 Illinois 4, No. 7 Ohio State 2
Apr 27, 2006 at Champaign, Ill.
Big Ten Championship
Atkins Tennis Center
1. Macall Harkins (ILL) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU), 7-5, 6-2
2. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Momei Qu (ILL), 6-4, 6-2
3. Brianna Knue (ILL) vs. Julie Blackmore (OSU), DNF
4. Ciara Finucane (OSU) def. Emily Wang (ILL), 6-2, 6-1
5. Shivani Dave (ILL) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU), 6-4, 7-5
6. Alejandra Meza Cuadra (ILL) def. Angela DiPastina (OSU), 6-4, 6-2
1. Harkins/Wang (ILL) def. O’Keefe/DiPastina (OSU), 9-7
2. Ruzimovsky/Blackmore (OSU) def. Knue/Dave (ILL), 8-5
3. Cuadra/Qu (ILL) def. Finucane/Messmer (OSU), 8-3