Senior co-captain Gemma Webster caps off career with round of 1-under 71
OWINGS MILLS, Md. The Ohio State women’s golf team concluded its 2008-09 season with a final round of 310 at the 2009 NCAA Championships Friday at Caves Valley Golf Club just outside of Baltimore. The Buckeyes closed with their lowest round of the event and finished in 24th place with a total of 1,258 on the par 72, 6,443-yard course.
Top-seeded Arizona State made a final charge to the top of the leaderboard, taking the NCAA team championship with a 72-hole score of 1,182. The Sun Devils defeated Pac-10 foes UCLA (1,190) and Southern California (1,191). Purdue’s Maria Hernandez held off USC’s Jennifer Song by a stroke for the individual crown with a score of 1-over 289.
Leading Ohio State during the final round was senior co-captain Gemma Webster. The two-time Second Team All-Big Ten honoree closed out her career with a 1-under 71 the lowest round a Buckeye in the tournament. Starting off the No. 10 tee, the Glasgow native birdied three of her first eight holes before a double-bogey on the hole 18.
Webster moved to 1-over with two bogeys after the turn, but battled back on her last three holes. She birdied the par 5 No. 7, and followed two holes later by sinking a 6-foot putt for birdie. The round of 71, played in front of her parents who flew in from Scotland for the event, also tied her season-low mark. She finished in 109th place with a four-round total of 322.
“I am really proud of the team and happy for Gemma,” Therese Hession, Ohio State’s head coach who has led the Buckeyes to 11 NCAA championship appearances in her tenure, said. “To shoot under par and birdie her last hole was a great way to end her college career.”
Also wrapping up her season with a solid performance was co-captain Emma Jandel. The Dayton, Ohio, native ended her junior campaign with a 1-over 73, tying her season low as well. After opening with bogeys on two of her first four holes, Jandel buckled down and made par on 11 holes in a row before posting a birdie on the seventh hole. She added two more pars to finish the round. Jandel tied for 57th with a sum of 308 (+20).
Vicky Villanueva ended her Big Ten Freshman of the Year season by also tying for 57th. Coming off a score of 73 in round three, the rookie from Chacabuco, Argentina, had a difficult final round of 82.
Another senior concluding her career was Jessica Hauser. The native of Hartland, Wis., had a good round of 4-over going until her final five holes when she was 8-over to finish with an 84. She placed 125th with a total score of 340.
For the second-consecutive day, sophomore In Hong Lim did not play because of injury. The First Team All-Big Ten selection withdrew six holes into her round Thursday.
“I’m excited for the three underclassmen to gain this experience,” Hession added. “It is a great catalyst for their future events. This is what the elite competition is all about.”
2009 NCAA Championships
Caves Valley Golf Club, Owings Mills, Md.
Par 72, 6,443 yards
Team Standings Scores
1. Arizona State 302-298-291-2911182 (+30)
2. UCLA 296-293-304-2971190 (+38)
3. Southern California 301-295-294-3011191 (+39)
4. Oklahoma State 303-297-309-2901199 (+47)
5. Denver 294-304-309-2991206 (+54)
6. Duke 308-301-302-2961207 (+55)
7. North Carolina 299-301-306-3041210 (+58)
8. Virginia 305-302-301-3041212 (+60)
9. Pepperdine 312-298-302-3011213 (+61)
10. Purdue 306-301-311-2981216 (+64)
11. Alabama 305-302-311-2991217 (+65)
12. LSU 302-304-309-3041219 (+67)
T13. Michigan State 307-303-315-3001225 (+73)
T13. Wake Forest 303-300-318-3041225 (+73)
15. Georgia 316-307-301-3101234 (+82)
16. Arizona 310-305-314-3061235 (+83)
17. Tennessee 307-313-306-3111237 (+85)
18. TCU 314-316-301-3071238 (+86)
19. New Mexico 311-314-307-3101242 (+90)
20. Tulane 312-305-317-3121246 (+94)
21. Chattanooga 316-307-305-3201248 (+96)
22. UC Irvine 320-316-312-3011249 (+97)
23. Texas 314-311-313-3141252 (+100)
24. Ohio State 323-311-314-3101258 (+106)
Ohio State Results Scores
T-57. Emma Jandel 75-78-82-73308 (+20)
T-57. Vicky Villanueva 78-75-73-82308 (+20)
109. Gemma Webster 87-87-77-71322 (+34)
125. Jessica Hauser 93-81-82-84340 (+52)
— In Hong Lim 83-77-WD