COLUMBUS, Ohio – The top seeded Ohio State men’s tennis team improved to 24-2 and advanced to the Big Ten tournament championship match with its 4-0 victory over Northwestern in the semifinals. The Buckeyes are now 27-1 vs. Northwestern with today marking the 22nd consecutive win over the Wildcats.
In doubles, the Buckeyes overcame a strong Northwestern effort. Top ranked doubles team Matej Vocel and Robert Cash took an early lead and smothered a Northwestern rally by winning two straight to finish first with a 6-4 win on court one. Cannon Kingsley and JJ Tracy traded points with Northwestern for the duration of the match until they won two straight and clinched their 7-5 win on a deuce point to seal the doubles point for the Buckeyes.
It was a different story in singles where the Buckeyes dominated with three huge straight set wins. Justin Boulais put on a near perfect performance and finished first on court six with a quick 6-1, 6-1 win. Kingsley finished soon after winning 6-3, 6-3 boosting the Buckeye lead to 3-0. Trotter sealed the 19th sweep of the season and the Buckeye’s ticket to the championship match with his 6-3, 6-3 win.
The Buckeye’s will face Michigan or Illinois in the championship match of the Big Ten Tournament tomorrow at 1 p.m. ET.
#4 Ohio State 4, #29 Northwestern 0
1. #10 Cannon Kingsley (OSU) def. #41 Steven Forman (NW) 6-3, 6-3
2. #11 Matej Vocel (OSU) vs. Simen Bratholm (NW) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
3. #21 JJ Tracy (OSU) vs. Trice Pickens (NW) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
4. #117 Jake Van Emburgh (OSU) vs. Presley Thieneman (NW) 7-6 (3), 3-3, unfinished
5. #42 James Trotter (OSU) def. Brian Berdusco (NW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Justin Boulais (OSU) def. Gleb Bekher (NW) 6-1, 6-1
1. #1 Robert Cash/Matej Vocel (OSU) def. #73 Steven Forman/Felix Nordby (NW) 6-4
2. Brian Berdusco/Simen Bratholm (NW) def. Andrew Lutschaunig/Justin Boulais (OSU) 2-6
3. Cannon Kingsley/JJ Tracy (OSU) def. Trice Pickens/Natan Spear (NW) 7-5
Ohio State 24-2; National ranking #4
Northwestern 19-10; National ranking #29
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5)