Nov. 15, 2017
Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0) vs. Texas Southern Tigers (0-2)
|Date:||Nov. 16, 2017|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Talent:|| Kevin Kugler (Play-By-Play)
Robbie Hummel (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (63 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 157 / XM 380|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Starting Five, Plus One
• Ohio State and Texas Southern are meeting for the first time. Ohio State is 6-0 all-time vs. teams currently representing the Southwestern Athletic Conference. Texas Southern is in the West Division of the league along with Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Grambling (1-0), Prairie View A&M and Southern. Ohio State is 5-0 vs. the East Division of the conference: Alabama A&M, Alabama State (1-0), Alcorn State (1-0), Jackson State (2-0) and Mississippi Valley State (1-0). The Buckeyes last played a team representing the conference Nov. 17, 2015 when Grambling traveled to Columbus as part of the Hall of Fame Classic. The Ohio State won that game 82-55.
• Mike Conley Jr. was elected into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame in 2017 and was officially recognized during Hall of Fame Weekend on the Ohio State campus the weekend of Oct. 7. Conley is the 39th men’s basketball student-athlete to be elected to the Athletics Hall of Fame. Conley, now in his 11th season with the Memphis Grizzlies, was the No. 4 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft after leading the Buckeyes to the NCAA National Championship game in 2007.
• Evan Turner, who was Ohio State’s 38th Hall of Fame inductee a season ago, was recognized Sept. 9 during Ohio State’s matchup with Oklahoma on the gridiron for his donation of $500,000 to the men’s basketball program. The donation will be used for graphics and to name the hallway outside the men’s basketball practice facility. Turner was the National Player of the Year in college basketball in 2010 and was the No. 2 pick in the NBA Draft that year (Philadelphia).
• New at home games this year, the Buckeyes will join the students in signing Carmen Ohio following each game. Players and coaches will line up in front of the student section (behind team benches).
• Senior Kam Williams reached 800 career points with nine vs. Radford the last time out. He averages 7.7 points a game over 104 appearances as a Buckeye…Williams needs five field goals to reach 300 in his career (295-694/.425)…C.J. Jackson reached 200 career points and 100 assists in the win vs. Radford. He tallied a career-high 19 points while handing out three assists vs. the Highlanders…with seven rebounds vs. Radford, sophomore Micah Potter reached 100 boards for this career (104).
• Holtmann received National Letters of Intent Wednesday from a quartet of high school standouts from Ohio, California, Texas and New Jersey. Justin Ahrens, a 6-5 forward from Versailles, Ohio; Duane Washington, a 6-3 guard from Chatsworth, California; Jaedon LeDee, a 6-9 forward from Houston, Texas; and Luther Muhammad, a 6-3 guard from Jersey City, New Jersey, all signed on with Holtmann and the Buckeyes on national signing day.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.