One of the marque matchups in the Big Ten Conference takes place on Saturday as No. 2 Ohio State (10-0) hosts No. 9 Penn State (9-1) is a game that could decide the winner of the Big Ten East Division. The Buckeyes and Nittany Lions kick off at noon on FOX.
It will be the third consecutive year that Ohio State and Penn State meet as top-10 ranked teams. The Buckeyes have won each of the previous two years by one point each time, erasing double digit fourth quarter deficits to do so.
Additionally, the eyes of the college football world will be on Columbus Saturday as three major pre-game shows – FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff show, ESPN’s College GameDay and BTN Tailgate – will all broadcast from in or around Ohio Stadium.
• Total enrollment across Penn State’s 24 campuses throughout the state of Pennsylvania is approximately 97,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
• Annually, Penn State hosts the Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon (THON), which is the world’s largest student-run philanthropy.
• Centre County, Pennsylvania, became the home of Penn State when James Irvin of Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, donated 200 acres (0.8 km2) of land.
• The 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities ranks Penn State 74th among universities worldwide and 37th nationally.
• In 1975, the lyrics in Penn State’s alma mater song were revised to be gender-neutral in honor of International Women’s Year; the revised lyrics were taken from the posthumously-published autobiography of the writer of the original lyrics, Fred Lewis Pattee, and Professor Patricia Farrell acted as a spokesperson for those who wanted the change.
• The last three games between Penn State and Ohio State have been decided by a total of five points: a three-point PSU win in 2016 followed by back to back one-point wins by Ohio State in 2017 and 2018.
• Running back J.K. Dobbins is fourth in the nation in rushing yards and 14th in yards/attempt despite registering only 42 second-half carries through the first 10 games this season.
• Ohio State and Penn State will be meeting for the 10th time in series history when both teams are ranked in the top 10. The Buckeyes have won six of the nine previous top-10 matchups.
• K.J. Hill had a career-high 12 receptions in a 39-38 win over the Nittany Lions in 2017 and caught the game-winning TD pass last year in a 27-26 come-from-behind victory.
• Justin Fields ranks third in the nation in points responsible for with 246, fourth in passing efficiency at 191.8 and fourth with 31 TD passes. His 41 total touchdowns accounted for is second only to Jalen Hurts of Oklahoma, despite having 86 less plays.