Aug. 28, 2015
Nick Elswick, a rising sophomore, is a member on the Ohio State University men’s cross country team and a distance runner on the men’s track and field team as well. A native of Chardon, Ohio, Elswick had an impressive freshman campaign in cross country, finishing as the top Buckeye runner at three 8K meets and representing Ohio State at Pre-Nationals. As an intern for camps in the Ohio State Department of Athletics with Bucks Go Pro this past summer, he gained experience and connections in the work place to leave with a positive experience that can be used in future jobs and opportunities.
- What is the best time of year on campus? The best time of year on campus has to be summer. You don’t have to take as many classes (or none at all!) and you get to explore more places you might not normally be able to go during the regular school year.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? I bike everywhere, at least when I’m not running. Mostly because I don’t have a car. Because if I did, then, well, I wouldn’t need a bike.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? I’m actually in the process of switching right now, coincidentally. This will be my first and hopefully last switch that I’ll need to make. I was in Exercise Science before and I realized that I just wasn’t as interested in it as I once thought. I’m not sure what I’m switching into next but I know when I find the right one it’ll be perfect for me.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? The most interesting class I have taken was actually a History of Art class my first semester. It took a look at different time periods and analyzed the style with which each one painted. It was amazing to me how much detail went into the works that I wouldn’t have otherwise been made aware.
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? Take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way. Be willing to step out of your comfort zone and try something new, and most importantly have fun doing it! Every chance you have to meet new people and be involved with others is a stepping stone for something bigger and better.
- What social media do you prefer the most? I find myself on twitter the most often (shameless plug it’s @nicholaselswick)
- Which do you watch more: Netflix or TV? Netflix for sure. I haven’t sat down and really watched TV in over a year.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? I’ve been a bookworm for most my life, so definitely the former. There’s just something about words on a page that a movie will never have.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? As of recently it has been Shut Up and Dance with Me. And then it gets stuck in my head for a couple days.
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? American Sniper. I’m glad I saw it in theater because the crowd’s reaction was unforgettable afterward. No one spoke a word and left in complete silence. It still gives me chills because of how powerful it was.
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? All the time! I have the distinct pleasure of being one of the few sports where we are in season all year round. Any time of year that I can run is the best time of year. If I actually had to narrow it down though, I’d say fall has to be my favorite. It has cool weather that’s perfect for cross country AND Buckeye football, there’s not much more you could ask for.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? Any team will do. Our sport is unique in that we face many opponents simultaneously, which makes it difficult to single them out at times.
- Do you have any pre-game/match superstitions or rituals? I have my old iPod shuffle from middle school that’s still running strong, with all the classic jams that I listened to as a kid (and still listen to because they’re awesome). I like to plug that in on the way to a meet and relax before I compete.
- What is your favorite part about your sport? Running is very much a mental game. In order to be a truly exceptional athlete in your discipline you need to not only be stronger and faster than everyone else, but also the toughest mentally. A weak-minded individual is easily swallowed whole by a pack of quality runners. That’s why I enjoy it so much, because you get to see that battle of attrition.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? My favorite memory thus far would be just running with my teammates and getting to know them better. They’re a great group of guys that I love showing up to work out and race with each day. I know I can always count on them when I need them.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Napping on a bench because I’m tired from practice and couldn’t make it home.
- Do you have a hidden talent? I am secretly a masterful pianist (actually I only took piano lessons for 8 years, but at least it’s something). I am also an adept navigator of the wilderness and could probably survive for about two weeks in the woods if I had to. I’m not really sure what would happen if I made it to two weeks though. Never tried.
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Fencing, I used to do it when I was younger and really loved it. Sometimes I wish I could go back and keep doing it.
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? Well, if it were a little scratch-off ticket for $50.00 I’d probably just go out to eat somewhere or go see a movie that just came out. If it were something more substantial like a lottery I’d buy a car (because biking in the winter isn’t fun), give some to my sisters and Mom and Dad, then save the rest and use it for when I need it later in life.
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? Having some free time. Right now I’m keeping myself busy with internships and running and the whole nine-yards, but getting to the weekend and having all kinds of time to decide how I want to spend it is a great feeling.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? My superpower would be telekinesis, using mind power. Then I could fly around and do things with my brain and lift heavy objects.
- Do you have an interesting nickname? None that I know of…
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? One of the throwers. I’d like to be able to eat a ton of food in one day.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Stay in the moment. Don’t get caught up in all the little problems you face and focus on the big picture. Do what you can each and every day to make yourself a better person.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? I’d like to witness the first commercial spaceship that takes people to another planet, kind of like Star Wars, but real life.
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I’d probably be an “O”, if I were the “I” no one would see me because I’m so skinny.
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? Being a part of a culture that breeds excellence.