Aug. 11, 2015
Jake Dastrup is a junior on the Ohio State men’s gymnastics team. As a Buckeye, the Lindon, Utah, native competed at the NCAA qualifier on floor, vault, pommel horse and parallel bars, placed ninth on parallel bars at the Big Ten Championships and took third on floor against Michigan. Dastrup also excels in classroom as demonstrated by his Academic All-Big Ten and Ohio State Scholar Athlete accolades.
Outside of school and gymnastics, Dastrup interned with Bucks Go Pro this past summer in the Blackwell to gain a better understanding of how hotels operate. Since he aspires to become a manager in the hotel business, the internship will give him an edge as he pursues his dream job.
- What is the best time of year on campus? There’s no better time of the year than summer! I love the relaxed feeling and the warmth. I also like that there’s not too many people so it’s not as crazy.
- What is your preferred mode of transportation to class? Skateboarding is the absolute most enjoyable and fastest way to get to class for sure.
- Have you switched your major? If so, how many times and why and if not, how did you know your major was “the one”? I’ve only switched my major once. I am currently in hospitality management and I just knew that this one was for me. I started to get into my classes and got an internship that fit my personality and will help me accomplish my future goals.
- What has been your favorite or most interesting class at OSU? Psychology is probably the most interesting class I’ve taken. There were a lot of cool things I learned.
- If you had to give an incoming student advice, what would it be? As I look back, I became so stressed about certain things that weren’t a big deal and worked out completely fine, so my advice would be to relax and try and be rational and use your resources to help maintain healthy stress levels.
- What social media do you prefer the most? Facebook because it helps me keep in touch with everyone and you can have pictures and messages and other things.
- Would you rather read the book or watch the movie? Watch a movie. However, reading is a lot more rewarding and fulfilling.
- What song can you not help but sing-a-long to? Sugar by Maroon 5
- What was the last movie that you saw in theaters? I believe it was the Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1. Loved it!
- When is your favorite time of your sport’s season? Definitely competition season during the winter. It’s the most difficult time of the year, but the most exciting.
- Which team do you most look forward to competing against? Oklahoma
- What is your favorite part about your sport? It is so difficult that it teaches you incredible discipline physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.
- What is your favorite athletic memory? Competing in Germany for Team USA is something I will never forget.
- What is the best meal you have ever eaten, and where did you get it from/who made it? That’s tough…my mom makes the best lasagna.
- Do you have a sweet tooth and if you do, what is your favorite treat? Unfortunately, I have a ridiculously uncontrollable sweet tooth. I love candy, ice cream, cookies, you name it.
- When you are not at practice, what could someone find you doing? Possibly playing the guitar, but most likely wasting my time watching pointless videos on YouTube.
- Do you have a hidden talent? I’m pretty good at piano and guitar, and not too many people know that.
- If you could play another sport other than yours, what would it be? Football. I’ve always wanted to put on some pads and get out there on the field.
- If you won the lottery, what would you do? I would never buy a lottery ticket, but if I did and won I would donate everything to charity.
- What do you most look forward to doing during the summer? Going to Cedar Point. I’ve been there once and it was awesome. I need to go back.
- If you were a superhero, what would your superpower be? I’ve always wanted to be able to fly. How cool would that be?
- Do you have an interesting nickname? When I was younger my teammates used to call me goldilocks because I had long golden hair.
- If you could switch places with anyone on your team for a day, who would you choose? Sean Melton because we’ve been close forever. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to be him!
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Probably something along the lines of not comparing yourself to others and trying to be your best self regardless of any pressure you feel from others.
- If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be? I would like to witness the construction of the pyramids of Egypt. That would be fascinating!
- Would you be the first O, H, I or last O in a picture? I, because the last “OHIO” picture I took I was an I. So that’s all I know!
- What is your favorite part about being a Buckeye? There’s something so unique and exciting about being a Buckeye. The atmosphere is so amazing and there are so many incredible resources and awesome experiences I’ve had at this amazing university. I will always cherish my experience here and being a Buckeye forever.