Aug 21, 2013
Photo Gallery | Highlight Video | Facebook | Twitter
No. 5 Ellyn Gruber, Junior Midfielder
Major: Human Nutrition
Gruber is in her third season as a starter for the Buckeyes and was selected a team captain by her teammates. The 2012 Academic All-Big Ten selection and two-time OSU Scholar-Athlete has played in 44 games in her first two seasons, notching a goal (a game-winner against Nebraska in the 2012 Big Ten Tournament) and five assists.
- Describe your first day as a student at The Ohio State University? – Exciting, but overwhelming. I was lost a lot.
- Do you prefer the Oval in the Fall or Spring (or maybe the Winter)? – Spring
- Where is the best place to sit for lectures? – Front and center
- Most underrated place to study on campus – The Oval
- Why did you choose to major in human nutrition? Because I thought it would help me in nursing school after undergraduate studies.
- Favorite pro sports team – Cincinnati Bengals
- Favorite athlete – Megan Rapinoe
- The athlete I would most like to compete against – Alex Morgan
- Favorite athletic memory – Winning the 2010 Big Ten Tournament
- Team you’re most looking forward to competing against – Penn State
- Dream event (non-sport or sport-related) you would like to attend – World Cup
- Pre-game/match superstition/Pre-game/match ritual – I eat the same food and listen to the same music
- What is your top skill? Putting myself in good spots
- What skill do you need to improve? – Finishing and capitalizing on my chances
- Most interesting place I’ve visited – Seattle, Wash.
- Place I would like to visit – Australia
- Person I most admire – My dad
- The greatest risk I’ve ever taken was – Deciding where I wanted to play college soccer
- In 10 years, I would like to be – Working as an athletic trainer/nurse and raising a family
- If I had a million dollars, I would – Travel around the world with my friends
- Coolest thing you did this past summer – Hiking in the mountains
- I would like to trade places for a day with – Alex Morgan
- Best piece of advice you’ve received – “When all else fails, always work hard.”
- Any superstitions, non-game/match related – Coffee every morning
- Pop or Soda? – Pop
- Cats or Dogs? – Dogs
- Early Bird or Night Owl? – Early Bird
- Would you be the O, H, I or the O? – “O”