Completed in November 1956 at a cost of $1,010,000, French Field House was designed for indoor track and field meets but is also used as a practice facility for many sports.
Presently, the facility possesses a strength and conditioning weight room along with an indoor rowing tank for the Ohio State varsity rowing squad. It also is home to many indoor track and field meets during the winter season.
A $1.3 million renovation project inside the field house was completed in October 2009. Renovations include:
The field house was named in honor of Prof. William E. French, who was the Western Conference faculty representative for The Ohio State University for 32 years.