COLUMBUS – For the second consecutive year, Ohio State was tops among Big Ten men’s lacrosse programs with six players who earned Distinguished Scholar accolades from the conference. This year’s honorees were Lukas Buckley (finance), Chase Bunce (accounting), Evan Riss (finance), Joey Salisbury (accounting), Jackson Smith (finance) and Brendan Wallace (political science).
In order to be eligible, a student-athlete must be in at least his second year on campus and earn a 3.7 or better grade-point average during the 2018-19 academic year. Over the last two years, Buckeye lacrosse players have earned 14 Big Ten Distinguished Scholar awards.
“Achieving success in the classroom is a credit to many people, including [academic counselor] Sarah Pergine in SASSO, our coaching staff and most of all the men in our program,” said head coach Nick Myers. “Our culture of academic excellence is very strong right now and we expect it to continue moving forward.”
Buckley, Bunce, Salisbury and Wallace have all been Distinguished Scholars multiples times in their careers while it’s the first honor for Riss and Smith. It also caps off another strong year academically for the Scarlet and Gray. Consider:
• The team finished the spring semester with a team grade-point average of 3.26.
• A staggering 78 percent of the roster – 33 out of 42 players – had a 3.0 cumulative GPA for the semester.
• At April’s Scholar-Athlete Dinner, 36 men’s lacrosse players were honored – the most ever in program history – for having a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
• Ohio State has achieved a higher GPA than the semester preceding it in seven of the last eight semesters and has had a 3.20 or better term GPA for six consecutive semesters.
• 10 out of 12 members of the freshmen class had grade-point averages at 3.0 or better. The group collectively had a 3.34 cumulative GPA for the year.
ACADEMICS BY THE NUMBERS
|3.26||Ohio State’s cumulative GPA for the Spring 2019 semester|
|6||Big Ten Distinguished Scholars, the most of any Big Ten men’s lacrosse program|
|7||Times in the last eight semesters that the Buckeyes have had a higher GPA than the previous semester|
|33||Student-athletes who had a 3.0 or better GPA in the spring semester|
|10||Freshmen who had a 3.0 or better GPA during the 2018-19 academic year.|
|24||Academic All-Big Ten honorees, tied for the most of any men’s lacrosse program.|
|36||OSU Scholar-Athletes, a program record|
|3||USILA Scholar All-Americans (Jack Jasinski, Logan Maccani, Matt Borges)|