COLUMBUS, Ohio – Rutgers edged Ohio State on Sunday 8-6 in a back-and-forth extra inning contest in the middle game of this weekend’s three-game series. The Buckeyes are now 22-11 on the season (6-2 Big Ten) while Rutgers is 17-18 (1-7 B1G).
THE SHORT STORY
• The Scarlet Knights scored three times in the top of the eighth inning – including a key two-run home run by catcher Katie Wingert – and staved off a Ohio State rally in the bottom half of the inning. Ohio State got a two-out RBI single from Lilli Piper, but couldn’t push across any more runs.
• At the plate, seniors Bri Betschel and Emily Clark both had multi-hit afternoons. Ohio State’s offense produced three home runs: a two-run shot from Kallie Boren along with solo shots from Meg Otte and Niki Carver.
• With the game tied at 5-5 in the bottom of the seventh, Ohio State had the bases loaded with one out. A fielder’s choice that resulted in an out at home plate put freshman Kaitlyn Coffman at the plate. She hit a ball hard up the middle, but Rutgers second basemen Aleah Marra dove to field the ball and tag second base to end the scoring threat.
HOW THE RUNS WERE SCORED
• The Buckeyes struck first in the bottom of the first inning. The second batter of the half inning, Lilli Piper, reached third on a dropped fly ball by the Rutgers right fielder. Two batters later, Kallie Boren hit her third home run of the season – a two-run shot – to give the Scarlet and Gray an early 2-0 lead.
• Rutgers responded with a run in the top of the second via a RBI single from Myah Moy. The two batters before Moy reached on a walk and single, but Ray was able to get out of the jam thanks to a fly out to center and strike out of Jess Hughes to end the threat.
• Ohio State got the run back in the bottom of the second when Nikki Carver blasted a solo home run with two outs to left center field, her second of the season.
• Rutgers plated a run the top of the third inning via a sacrifice fly by Erin Collins, who drove in Anyssa Iliopoulos, who led off the half inning with a single to right field.
• The Scarlet Knights tied the game on a two-out double in the top of the fourth inning off the bat of Jess Hughes. Her hit drove in Adriana Bucar, who came into the game as a pinch runner after Moy singled through the left side.
• Ohio State retook the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning when Emily Clark came through with a clutch two-out double down the left field line, scoring pinch runner Summer Costable, who came in after Bri Betschel singled through the right side.
• Hughes gave Rutgers its first lead of the day with a one-out, two-run home run to straightaway center field in the top of the sixth.
• The Scarlet Knights’ lead was short lived, as freshman Meg Otte continued her hot hitting, connecting on a solo home run to right field with one out in the bottom of the sixth to knot the score at 5-5.
• In the top of the eighth, Rutgers scored three times on Wingert’s two-run home run and a RBI triple from Nicole Bowman. Ohio State’s run in the bottom of the frame came with two outs off the bat of Piper, who drove in Carver.
The Buckeyes and Scarlet Knights wrap up their weekend series tomorrow at Buckeye Field. Due to predicted weather later in the afternoon, the first pitch is slated for 11 a.m.